We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A scenic path south away from I-95?

In cooperation with: Connecticut Office of Tourism
Which Groton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lawrenceville, NJ
reviews: 101
A scenic path south away from I-95?

We are going home from Cape Cod after lunch in Groton to New Jersey Saturday. I am looking for a colorful trip home away from the insanity of the Connecticut Turnpike that won't take forever, or take us completely out of the way. Any thoughts? Thanks to all.

6 replies to this topic
Hartford
Destination Expert
for Hartford
reviews: 6
1. Re: A scenic path south away from I-95?

Honestly you will probably end up on I-95 for much of the ride. My suggestion is to travel to exit 59, turn right on Goose lane go through the light at Route 1 and then right on Boston St. You'll come to the historic Guilford Green. Continue onto route 146 and follow it to Stony Creek. If you have an hour to spare go left in Stony Creek and tour the Thimble lslands. http://thimbleislandcruise.com/ or http://www.thimbleislands.com/ Continue to Branford, then pick up 95 again. In Milford you can switch over to the Merritt Parkway(15) if you wish

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 40
2. Re: A scenic path south away from I-95?

Part of the problem is that there is so much water and so few crossings. I think your limitations make the request pretty difficult.

I hate the Ct TP and always get on the Merritt just past NH as suggested.

Sudbury...
reviews: 57
3. Re: A scenic path south away from I-95?

What about scenic route 1 meandering through Westerly, RI, Stonington, Mystic and then on to Groton? We went on this road and it was very pleasant, many scenic places.

Sudbury...
4. Re: A scenic path south away from I-95?

What about scenic route 1 meandering through Westerly, RI, Stonington, Mystic and then on to Groton? We went on this road and it was very pleasant, many scenic places.

Sudbury...
5. Re: A scenic path south away from I-95?

Oops, sorry I sent you north, but scenic rt. 1 is still nice going south, then hook up with 95.

NY, NY
reviews: 89
6. Re: A scenic path south away from I-95?

Parts of route 1 are scenic, but once you get past Guilford CT it is pretty commercial. Taking route 1 to Guilford and then taking 146 is a decent idea. you could either get 146 directly from 1 or continue on 1 and take 77 south through Guildford center (a fairly classic town green center) to 146 and follow 146 into the center of Branford. I would pick up 95 in Branford and then switch to the Merritt in Milford as suggested above. Also, I would seek out the Henry Hudson/9A as the way to access the GW Bridge. The Cross Bronx/95 is one of the worst and most disgusting stretches of road imaginable, and accessing the GW that way or from the Deegan/87 will expose you to far worse delays.

Reply to: A scenic path south away from I-95?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted