We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Route from Groton?

In cooperation with: Connecticut Office of Tourism
Which Groton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
4 posts
Best Route from Groton?

So glad I found this board!

We are arriving at JFK airport and renting a car, traveling from Long Island to Orient Point Ferry in October, arriving in New London, and have booked a stay in a hotel in Groton, same day, checkout on Monday morning. We are renting the car for only 24 hours.

The rental car must be returned at our final destination; Boston no later than 1:00 pm, Monday afternoon.

Our final destination is Boston, with a must stop beforehand, in Fall River; battleship cove. We figure we will arrive in Fall River @ 9:00 am Monday morning when the attraction opens. We are only interested in seeing 1 certain battleship.

My question is should we remain on I-95 and take Hwy 138 into Fall River or should we remain on I-95, then switch to 195? I understand there is one toll bridge on Hwy 138. Does anyone know the cost and if indeed there is only 1 toll bridge? What do you anticipate traffic to be on a Monday morning on either route? In looking at the Road Atlas it appears Hwy 138 is the quickest and we are looking for the quickest ETD. But I do not know this first hand.

Another question, what time should we be on the road to Boston from Fall River in order to ensure we have the rental car returned before 1:00 pm?

I appreciate your help and comments.

1 post
1. Re: Best Route from Groton?

138 ususally is NOT the fastest way to get to Fall River because it goes directly through Newport AND the speed limit is 50 mph or less the entire way there.

Newport is great- if you have the time to stop and visit. But, if you're just looking for the fastest travel route, I don't recommend it.

I'd stick to 195, wich is a major highway.

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Beijing
Level Contributor
3,631 posts
164 reviews
2. Re: Best Route from Groton?

I agree-I would go I-95 to 195.