We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the road condition drivable for Christmas?

Which Winter Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas
reviews: 1
Is the road condition drivable for Christmas?

We are going to flight to Denver and pick up a rental car to drive to Winter park in early morning of December 25. I just checked weather.com. It looks like it will snow on Dec 24 to Dec 25. Anyone knows if we can drive in snow condition from Denver Airport to Winter Park? Will the DEN airport be closed? This is our first time to visit Denver. We have two days left to cancel our trip. Would really appreciate any expert advice.

Aspen, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Aspen
1. Re: Is the road condition drivable for Christmas?

Way to early to predicate road conditions a week out and it's needs to be a major storm to close the airport. Driving in snow can be dicey. Just take it easy like your driving on ice in Dallas. CO does a great job plowing I-70. Keep tabs of road conditions at

http://www.cotrip.org/device.htm

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
reviews: 98
2. Re: Is the road condition drivable for Christmas?

DIA is rarely closed. It takes a blizzard. Go to www.cotrip.org and click on road conditions. On the map, you will see two camera icons on highway 40 headed to Winter Park. These are live webcams. You can check road conditions at any time. There is lots of snow falling right now in many areas of Colorado. CDOT and other agencies do an excellent job on the roads but roads can be snowpacked especially during periods of falling snow. There will be many, many people headed to Winter Park. I would not cancel my plans.

texranger, I did not see your post before I posted--duplicate advice.

Edited: 1:32 pm, December 18, 2012
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
reviews: 94
3. Re: Is the road condition drivable for Christmas?

No way of knowing. If it were me, I would reserve a hotel (with a flexible cancellation policy) near the airport just in case the road conditions are bad. With luck the conditions will be fine but you'll be the hero if you need to wait out the storm. Otherwise, there's no way to predict the weather as the other posters have said.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 232
4. Re: Is the road condition drivable for Christmas?

As noted, the airport almost never closes. If you're uncomfortable driving in snow, as a backup you can take a shuttle from Denver Airport to WInter Park where the driver will be experienced.

Have fun. Snow is what you want when you're skiing.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 54
5. Re: Is the road condition drivable for Christmas?

Agree with the above, you should be fine. Make certain that the rental car has good tires, front wheel drive or 4x4. A note getting a SUV does automatically mean it will be a 4x4, be sure to ask.

Your coming in the day time hours makes it all the better. Have fun!

Aspen, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Aspen
6. Re: Is the road condition drivable for Christmas?

Good tires with good traction is far more important than an SUV with or without 4WD. Take your time and ignore those who are driving in the passing lane.

Dallas
reviews: 1
7. Re: Is the road condition drivable for Christmas?

Thank you all for your precious advice!!! I will follow your advice and looking forward to this trip.

8. Re: Is the road condition drivable for Christmas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 21, 2013