We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Ottoma, Iowa to Winter Park?

Which Winter Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Columbia, Missouri
reviews: 32
Train from Ottoma, Iowa to Winter Park?

Has anyone taken the train from Ottoma, Iowa to Winter Park? I want to know if you can get a sleeper on that train. Looking at the Amtrak website, it looks like you can get seats, but no sleeper cars are on that route. We live in Missouri and the nearest Amtrak is in Iowa.

Thanks for any experience anyone might have on this. Dianna

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 100
1. Re: Train from Ottoma, Iowa to Winter Park?

Yes, there are rooms on the California Zephyr. Look at the downloadable route guide for descriptions. And when you enter your route/date information to look for tickets, there's a button you click right under where you choose a reserved coach or lower level coach seat. It says "Buy rooms." If you click that, the different room options will pop up.

http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/480/939/CAZephyr(W)_2010.pdf

Edited: 9:37 am, August 01, 2012
Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
reviews: 162
2. Re: Train from Ottoma, Iowa to Winter Park?

For a 13 hr. trip the cost is pretty high for a room. My friend travels by train quite often and finds the seats pretty comfortable to sleep in. But here are the room options to Denver.

A roomette (bunkbeds) for $312; family bedroom for $550; and superliner for $678

http://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak

I picked several different dates and noticed some of the rooms were already sold out so if you want one I'd jump in there soon.

Edited: 5:10 pm, August 01, 2012
Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
reviews: 162
3. Re: Train from Ottoma, Iowa to Winter Park?

By the way, the train will stop in Fraser and then you will need to get transportation to Winter Park. Maybe there's a shuttle you can take.

allwinterpark.com/transportation/trains.php

Columbia, Missouri
reviews: 32
4. Re: Train from Ottoma, Iowa to Winter Park?

Thanks for the replies. We are thinking of going there during ski season and since we've had two back to back bad experiences with booking early and then arriving to no snow, we'll probably wait on booking anything. The thought was to save ourselves the 13-hour drive from Columbia, Missouri, to Winter Park, and get there ready to ski. Thanks for the information. Dianna

Moline,IL
5. Re: Train from Ottoma, Iowa to Winter Park?

We are traveling from galesburg il to winter park and we are not able to check bags. Does anyone know know of options and how secure they will be.

Moline,IL
6. Re: Train from Ottoma, Iowa to Winter Park?

We are traveling from galesburg il to winter park and we are not able to check bags. Does anyone know know of options and how secure they will be.

Moline,IL
7. Re: Train from Ottoma, Iowa to Winter Park?

Moline,IL
8. Re: Train from Ottoma, Iowa to Winter Park?

Saint Ansgar, Iowa
reviews: 2
9. Re: Train from Ottoma, Iowa to Winter Park?

I have taken Amtrak from Osceola IA to Winter Park several times, and will be taking it again in Feburary. The seats recline some what and have a leg rest, but I would not over rate them. The nice thing is the train travels at night both ways. I have bought the rooms for the trip back to Iowa, but I think the cost was around $120 for a roomette. I do not think it is worth the $300. You will carry your luggage on to the train and store it in a luggage rack on the lower level. It is not secure, so do not pay anything valueable in your luggage, but we have never had any issues with our luggage. Our skis have been stored by the crew, but last time they just stored them in a separate room on the lower level.

Iowa
reviews: 27
10. Re: Train from Ottoma, Iowa to Winter Park?

Ottumwa, Iowa