We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gorge near Colorado City?

Which Walsenburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saint George, Canada
reviews: 92
Gorge near Colorado City?

Does anyone know the name of the gorge near Colorado City?

We attempted to find it last week but there is no public/direct access to it from the road. You can catch a glimpse of it from the Interstate. I am told it is amazing to see but not sure how to get to it without walking over private farm land. If it is nice, the local governments should do more to promote it.

I wander the world
reviews: 21
1. Re: Gorge near Colorado City?

Do you mean the Royal Gorge near Canon City?

http://www.royalgorgebridge.com/

Oops, I may be wrong about this cause there is a place called Colorado City...I tell ya the things I don't know could fill states.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 112
2. Re: Gorge near Colorado City?

I don't know for sure if this is what you're looking for, but Hardscrabble Canyon is mentioned as part of the Frontier Pathways Scenic and Historic Byway.

http://www.frontierpathways.org/ is the website, and it suggests contacting the El Pueblo History Museum for more information at 301 N Union Ave in Pueblo, or 719-583-8631.

"...the Byway offers over 100 miles of scenic beauty, numerous musuems and recreational opportunities. Both a state and national Byway, the tour climbs from the high plains, through Hardscrabble Canyon, by breathtaking mountain vistas, to quaint mountain towns, returning to Pueblo’s upbeat urban atmosphere. "

Saint George, Canada
3. Re: Gorge near Colorado City?

No, I am familiar with Royal Gorge. The gorge that I am making mention of is located east of Colorado CIty, just of exit 71 of interstate 25.

If you use googlemap's satelite view, you can see the gorge. If you use the street view for the exit, you can see the signs (I should have taken a photo of the sign).

I attempted to find the gorge by following the signs down Thacker Road but after the second sign, there is no further mention of how to get to the gorge. It appears to be view high and some locals in Pueblo told me that the gorge is better than Royal Gorge. Certain, one would not have to pay the $24 admission (in the slow season too? come on!)

Edited: 7:03 pm, December 02, 2009
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
4. Re: Gorge near Colorado City?

Could the locals tell you how to get there? Do you know if it is Hardscrabble Canyon?

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
5. Re: Gorge near Colorado City?

Okay, I think I found it. I looked on the map of the Frontier Pathways byway, and saw Graneros Gorge. If you google Graneros Gorge you will find several listings. Google maps will also give you driving directions, but I don't know if accurate. Here's a blog that gives some directions: …blogspot.com/2007/03/graneros-gorge.html

You might check with the Bureau of Land Mgmt office, too.

Saint George, Canada
6. Re: Gorge near Colorado City?

Hardscrabble Canyon is to the west of Colorado City, this canyon is to the east. I have since left Colorado and returning in January.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
7. Re: Gorge near Colorado City?

Yes, see my post #5 about Graneros Gorge. I believe that is the one you're looking for, so if you want to try again on your return trip, look for info on Graneros Gorge.

Saint George, Canada
8. Re: Gorge near Colorado City?

It appears that Graneros Gorge is the same one. I guess my question is, does anyone know of how to get access to the gorge since it is surrounded by private property. Has anyone explored the area?

9. Re: Gorge near Colorado City?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 02, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Walsenburg