We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't decide where to stay!

Which Vail hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, TX
Can't decide where to stay!

Hi everyone,

My wife and I just decided to take a quick vacation to Vail between December 20 and 23. Here is what we are looking for:

1. Nice accommodations! Preferably less than 500 per night, but we don't mind paying for a great location, service, amenities, etc.

2. Close to the slopes. My wife and I are beginner skiiers if that makes any difference on the hotel selection.

3. Close to shopping.

Finally, this appears to be a very popular time to visit Vail judging from the increased hotel prices. Will there be a problem with overcrowding during these dates?

I would appreciate any advice you have!

Jason

Vail, Colorado
reviews: 18
1. Re: Can't decide where to stay!

For three nights I wouldn't book a condo, you don't have time to settle in. Try to find someone who will take 3 nights during the holidays. Christiania, Tivoli, Marriott, Gasthoff Gramshammer are all close and first class.

Vail, Colorado
reviews: 2
2. Re: Can't decide where to stay!

Check out vail.net for options and discounts. I'd consider a condo, even for three nights. It's nice to have the separate living room & it's always nice to have a kitchen (you'll save - even if it's just breakfast).

Vail's a great choice - lots of options to fit your needs (nice, close to skiing, close to shopping). Consider something in Lionshead Village, it will be a bit less expensive than Vail Village. Suggestions include the Landmark, Lion Square Lodge or Marriott (if you do want a hotel).

Vail, Colorado
3. Re: Can't decide where to stay!

Forgot to mention...if the prices seem high and you don't mind not knowing, try Hotwire.com. They have some good discounted prices on Vail hotels. It won't be too crowded until after Christmas.

Austin, TX
4. Re: Can't decide where to stay!

Thanks for the recommendations! Now I can't decide whether we should stay in Lionshead or Vail Village. The Lionshead prices seem to be more reasonable, but what will we be giving up? Quick access to the slopes? Nearby shopping?

Vail, Colorado
5. Re: Can't decide where to stay!

Vail Village has less lodging options and is Vail's "downtown", so rates are more expensive. Lionshead is actually a bit easier to get to the mountian (depending on where you stay) and has more variety of lodging - and Lionshead is where the gondola is located. It's easy to get all around Vail with the free bus system.

Wash. DC
reviews: 13
6. Re: Can't decide where to stay!

All above advice is great. My standard recommendation: Christiania. It seems to meet all of your criteria.

Austin, TX
7. Re: Can't decide where to stay!

Christiania sounds great, but they require a Saturday to Saturday stay during this period.

Wash. DC
reviews: 13
8. Re: Can't decide where to stay!

Tivoli would be next on my list within your guidelines.

Indianapolis...
reviews: 16
9. Re: Can't decide where to stay!

I'd consider Beaver Creek. There are plenty of lux places to stay right in the village and it's less overwhelming for the beginner skiers. It's simply magical. And you can always shuttle over to Vail for a day or for dinner. We find Beaver Creek to be the most romantic place on earth (other than Kauai). Try Post Montane or Beaver Creek Hyatt, which is RIGHT at the bottom of the runs and offers a ski concierge service to store your equipment for you. Plus an indoor/outdoor pool, spa etc. We love Borders Lodge too, though it's not right on a beginner run. Either way, you're going to be so happy you're there.

Austin, TX
10. Re: Can't decide where to stay!

Thanks for the recommendations everyone! I looked into many options and finally decided on staying at the Marriott between December 20th and 24th. Many of the hotels / condos are requiring a 7 day minimum stay during this period, so my options were fairly limited. Now, I need to come up with an itinerary, but I'll create another thread for that one ;)