We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private lessons for parents and a 3 year old?

Which Vail hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Tx
reviews: 1
Private lessons for parents and a 3 year old?

I was thinking about reserving private lessons for myself, my wife, and our 3 year old in Vail this December. None of us have ever skied before. We'd like to take lessons from a private instructor so that we can all spend the time together instead of sending our son off to the toddler group. My question is whether this would be a good idea? Can one instructor work with 2 adults and a toddler at the same time? I was thinking about doing 2 half days because our 3 year old will surely get too tired to handle full day instructions, and we will only be there for 3 full days. Thanks for your imput.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
reviews: 99
1. Re: Private lessons for parents and a 3 year old?

Just my 02 but I don't think it's a good idea. Spending time together? Yes. But the way a 3-year-old is taught to ski is much different than an adult. In the end, it will likely be a lot of money that you're spending to stand around watching your 3-year-old get a ski lesson. You can do that for a fraction of the price by just watching your kids lesson from the sidelines.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 54
2. Re: Private lessons for parents and a 3 year old?

Agree with smushie, put the 3 year old in a group, he will have ore fun with the other kiddoes then take the private with your wife.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 120
3. Re: Private lessons for parents and a 3 year old?

Ditto. Does your little one take naps still? That will make a difference in how you arrange your days, but definitely put him in kids' ski school.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 242
4. Re: Private lessons for parents and a 3 year old?

For sure NOT a good idea.

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
reviews: 9
5. Re: Private lessons for parents and a 3 year old?

The little ones learn so quickly, and they look so cute in class. Your 3yr. will be beating you down the slopes in no time, lol. Enjoy your trip.

Cleveland, Ohio
reviews: 84
6. Re: Private lessons for parents and a 3 year old?

you will not be sorry putting the little one in ski school! the instructors are wonderful! and they make little friends during the stay and have lots and lots of fun! our dd (10 last xmas when we were there) made friends from Holland and Denmark and had a great time in the fab four (I think that's what its called - less kids in the class) and learned a lot! and was fearless coming down that mountain w/ dh after her lessons!

Delavan, Illinois
reviews: 46
7. Re: Private lessons for parents and a 3 year old?

I'm a ski instructor, and I don't think I would take that deal even though you would be paying me for it.

Your 3-year old does need a private lesson or a ski school dedicated to working with toddlers. Whether you observe or go do your own thing depends on how clingy he is. BTW, the more clingy the more important it is that you are NOT there. I've seen as young as 18 month olds learn to ski, so it can be done. But you shouldn't have expectations of your 3-year old skiing the mountain with you. He should be able to enjoy the snow, and in some ways a monster program for playing in the snow and focusing less on the actually skiing itself might benefit him more.

I taught my grandkids to ski at age 4. And even though I am an instructor and have taught other little ones, I had a friend teach my grandkids for me for the their first lesson. It just works better that way. So take your little one to the ski school. And you go take your lesson. Then, after you've learned, you can ski some of those beginner slopes nearby and watch your child progress.

Another thought, while I have nothing against Vail, I have to say that I have been impressed with the ski school for working with young children at Winter Park. Copper Mountain is also quite good at teaching adults. And, no, neither is where I teach. Come to the midwest and I'll be glad to take care of you.

8. Re: Private lessons for parents and a 3 year old?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 28, 2014