We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Telluride, Steamboat or Park city Utah?

Which Telluride hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Baton Rouge
reviews: 12
Telluride, Steamboat or Park city Utah?

Hi need help picking a ski destination for adults in late Jan or Feb. We went to Brekenridge a couple years ago and loved it ! But we do not like to go to same spot twice!

17 replies to this topic
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
reviews: 19
1. Re: Telluride, Steamboat or Park city Utah?

I vote Telluride. The scenery is unmatched, fantastic. You have the option to stay in town or Mountain Village ~ connected by the free gondola. Hotels and condos available in both locations. Great restaurants in town. Historic mining town that has been there well over 100 years.

Denver, Colorado
2. Re: Telluride, Steamboat or Park city Utah?

Great choices, I've skied them all. Park City would be the most like Breckenridge and easiest to get to. You could also ski Deer Valley and The Canyons while you're there. Having three world class resorts within 10 minutes of each other would help keep things fresh. A general rule, if you like Breck, then you will like PC. As a Denver-ite, Steamboat is a favorite of mine. The Boat has great snow and a very relaxed enjoyable atmosphere. Like PC they have terrain for all abilities and enough of it to keep things fresh. Steamboat would also be less crowded than PC.

Telluride is probably my favorite mountain in the Western US. It is more challenging than PC or Steamboat. It's town is quaint and a little sleepier than Steamboat or PC. A ski trip to Telluride is more of an adventure than the other main stream resorts like Vail, PC, or Steamboat. It is MUCH harder to get to, but once you get there you'll feel isolated from the rest of the world and there will be no crowds.

I really don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices. If you like the social aspect of ski vacations I'd lean more towards PC or the Boat. If you're more interested in skiing and relaxing with your friends I'd say Telluride.

USA
reviews: 6
3. Re: Telluride, Steamboat or Park city Utah?

Great comments so far. Telluride is beautiful. It's also at a higher elevation so it will have nicer snow. Park City is a nice mountain with a fun town, but it's at a lower elevation so the snow isn't as good. My friend who lives in Park CIty drives an hour out of Park City to the Salt Lake ski resorts to ski (Snowbird / Alta). Having said that, we live in the mountains so we can get more particular. Friends from out of state can think the snow is good when we think it is icy. As a note, I don't think Deer Valley allows snowboarding, which can be a positive or negative thing depending on your point of view. Steamboat is a nice mountain with a fun town, too, but it's a bigger feel.

Edited: 6:53 pm, September 21, 2013
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 83
4. Re: Telluride, Steamboat or Park city Utah?

I wouldn't say that Telluride is much harder to reach. You can fly direct to Montrose from several cities in the wintertime and skip the Denver airport. From there, it's a gorgeous drive of about an hour and a half by shuttle or rented car. You can also connect through Denver to Montrose or the Telluride airport, or if you come upon a good deal to Grand Junction or Durango, you can drive from there. And Telluride has terrain for all abilities, as well.

Any of the three would be great choices! You'll just have to try them all, and you should put Crested Butte and Aspen/Snowmass on your list, too. For scenery, ease of getting around town and resort, and a neat little town, it is hard to beat Telluride. Some people who fly in to Montrose and have a week will spend part in Telluride and part in Crested Butte. Those who fly in to Durango might spend a day or two in Durango to ride the train, ski, and make a winter visit to Mesa Verde, then also ski in Telluride.

Okay, there ya' go...we've got your next five years all planned for you, lol.

Steamboat Springs...
5. Re: Telluride, Steamboat or Park city Utah?

"Telluride is beautiful. It's also at a higher elevation so it will have nicer snow. Park City is a nice mountain with a fun town, but it's at a lower elevation so the snow isn't as good."

Sorry etravel_10 but I think this is a ridiculous statement for when these people plan on coming. Elevation is not likely to be the factor at the end of January /Feb. Whoever is getting the snowstorms at the time, will be reaping the benefits. If you live in the mountains, like you say you do, You'd know that later in the spring time is when elevation is a factor. Just setting the record straight. Snow quality at the end of Jan should be on par at each resort. Who has the most and what condition each ski area is in, might be the deciding factor.

Telluride...
Destination Expert
for Telluride
reviews: 5
6. Re: Telluride, Steamboat or Park city Utah?

Steamboat is flat.

Park City is in Utah.

Telluride... it's a no-brainer!

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 52
7. Re: Telluride, Steamboat or Park city Utah?

<<<Park City is in Utah.>>> LOL, perfect!

Steamboat or Telluride, pick one you will have a great time!

phila
reviews: 74
8. Re: Telluride, Steamboat or Park city Utah?

These are very helpful as we're also trying to decide on a family trip (6 people ages 17 to 53) between Park City (where we've been several times) and Telluride (where we've never been). Further questions: (1) one of our company is a first-time skier. Does Telluride have enough really easy stuff for someone at that level? I see many trails marked "double green." Could a first-timer do those after a couple of days of lessons? (2) would you say Telluride (the town) is more like, say, Vail or Main Street in Park City (or something else entirely) (3) most of us are blue or blue/black skiers. Will we feel like we wished there were more options than "just" Telluride? (and I really apologize for #3, which sounds worse than I mean it - one nice thing about Park City is the number of very different mountains you can bounce back and forth between).

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
9. Re: Telluride, Steamboat or Park city Utah?

I learned to ski in Telluride. There is plenty of great beginner territory, wide slopes with wide gentle turns. I don't believe the others will feel that there is not enough territory. I have never progressed to black, but my husband is an expert skier, bumps, etc has skied all over the country and does not get tired of Telluride. Many people say that they find the blacks at Telluride harder than other mountains ~ can't personally comment on that.

Town is in a box canyon and thus completely surrounded by mountains, drop dead gorgeous scenery in any direction.

Edited: 11:30 pm, September 25, 2013
phila
reviews: 74
10. Re: Telluride, Steamboat or Park city Utah?

Thanks, Endosunshine, Very helpful.

Reply to: Telluride, Steamboat or Park city Utah?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted