We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Telluride or Steamboat - help

Which Telluride hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
reviews: 1
Telluride or Steamboat - help

Can't decide whether to visit Telluride or Steamboat next month.

We experienced Steamboat last December and stayed at One Steamboat Place - but no snow!

Curious to see if we would enjoy Steamboat or Telluride better in the summer.

We like top notch accommodations with full service amenities including ski in/ski out access.

Ultimately in search for a purchase of a vacation home or fractional interest.

Any thoughts?

What is considered nicest resort in Telluride right now??

12 replies to this topic
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 82
1. Re: Telluride or Steamboat - help

Since you have been to Steamboat, I'd recommend Telluride. The two towns are quite different. IMO Telluride is much more scenic, the more upscale of the two; but Steamboat is a larger community. Visit Telluride, then you'll be able to determine which is a better fit for you.

I'll let someone else give opinions on the nicest resort in Telluride.

Montrose, Colorado
reviews: 10
2. Re: Telluride or Steamboat - help

In Telluride you might be interested in the Fairmont Heritage Place Franz Klammer Lodge. It is upscale, centrally located in Mountain Village at the base of the mountain, and has fractional ownerships available. I think that may also be true of The Peaks, The Hotel Madeline and Lumiere.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 194
3. Re: Telluride or Steamboat - help

Pretty different resorts. Both have somewhat similar structure in that there's an existing old town plus a separate resort village. Telluride definitely has more upscale than Steamboat. Most everything in the Moutain Village is very nice. We usually are at Madeline and very nice. Fairmont a step up. Easy gondola connection down to the old town. As suggested, if you've been to Steamboat try Telluride this time. Both are a bit interesting to reach by air. Steamboat probably easier.

Have fun.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
reviews: 19
4. Re: Telluride or Steamboat - help

You would love Telluride, beautiful scenery, great opportunities to hike, wonderful restaurants and more. Telluride started well over 100 years ago as a mining town, still has quite a few of the historic buildings. A great little museum that has Telluride's history from the time before the white man to the present. Nice hotels in both Telluride and Mountain Village ~ which are connected by the free gondola, which has some really good views. In town I would look at Hotel Columbia, The New Sheridan Hotel is a historic property, also Camel's Garden and Hotel Telluride. In Mountain Village look at Lumiere, Hotel Madeline and The Peaks.

To get to Telluride ~ you can fly directly to Telluride or fly into Montrose, CO. Montrose is 1.5 hour drive from Telluride, with gorgeous scenery most of the trip. You can rent a car, which I would suggest so that you can also explore the area (Ouray, Silverton, etc) or take a shuttle to town.

ontario
reviews: 2
5. Re: Telluride or Steamboat - help

Telluride. No contest. :0)

USA
reviews: 5
6. Re: Telluride or Steamboat - help

Telluride. Telluride. Telluride.

Austin, Texas
reviews: 1
7. Re: Telluride or Steamboat - help

I have visited both and I personally did not care for Steamboat very much. Just didn't care for the scenery. On the other hand Telluride's scenery is unbeatable. Telluride is very tiny but quality over quantity.

Since you've already visited Steamboat I would give Telluride a visit. Plus you have Ouray and Durango not far from Telluride, you just can't go wrong.

Temple, Texas
reviews: 7
8. Re: Telluride or Steamboat - help

I am also considering Telluride for summer 2014. So let me ask this, Telluride or Ouray for 3-4 days?

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 82
9. Re: Telluride or Steamboat - help

Roy, you might get more responses if you post your question as a new thread. Also, you could use the search feature, because this question is asked almost every year! ;)

The two towns are close enough together (approx. 1 hour) that you can drive from one to the other and visit both. They have a different "feel" and different scenery. People usually seem to prefer the ambience of one or the other. It's hard to describe, as both are very laid back, but Telluride is more the place to see and be seen...more nightlife, more upscale shopping and dining. Telluride's scenery is hard to beat, but Ouray is beautiful, as well. Telluride is more upscale, with more bazillion dollar homes and large hotels catering to skiers in the winter and festival goers in the summer. It usually--but not always--has more expensive lodging. There are more restaurants, more bars, more music. It is a little larger community than Ouray. . Check the calendar carefully, as if your dates coincide with a festival, the town will be crowded with thousands of visitors. (Which is a lot of fun if you are a festival goer, but not so much fun if you aren't) Ouray has hot springs and is famous for being a center for jeep tours into the surrounding mountains. Telluride has jeep tours/rentals, too, but Ouray has a little more variety of trails because of the access to the Alpine Loop area between Silverton>Ouray>Lake City. Ouray is a slightly better location for day trips, IMO, such as to Ridgway, Montrose and the Black Canyon Natl Park, Grand Junction, Palisade, Cedaredge/Grand Mesa, Silverton, maybe even Crested Butte. It is possible to visit Mesa Verde as a day trip from Telluride but it is better to spend a night there, so it can also be visited from Ouray. Ouray has hot springs and a mine tour, and an easy drive to Ridgway for rafting, fishing, tubing, stand up paddle boarding. Both have plenty of hiking, horseback riding, etc. Both have nice small museums and walkable downtowns.

Edited: 9:20 am, September 22, 2013
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
reviews: 19
10. Re: Telluride or Steamboat - help

That is a hard decision, it really boils down to personal preference. Both towns have gorgeous scenery and even tho they are not far apart ~ the mountain views are totally different! I prefer Telluride, but I also really like Ouray.

With Telluride and Mountain Village (technically 2 different towns) connected by a ride on the free gondola, it doubles your choices on lodging, restaurants, etc. I prefer the restaurants of Telluride over Ouray. There are several really great hikes that leave right from town in Telluride.... no need to drive out to a trail head, altho others are accessed in that way too. Telluride started as a mining town well over 100 years ago and has a great small museum that documents the time from before the white man to mining to the present.

Between the 2 towns is Ridgway, Colorado ~ where the original John Wayne version of True Grit was filmed. You can still recognize many of the buildings. (real buildings, not movie props)

One way to decide may be based on the dates that you wish to visit. If Telluride has a big festival going on it will be harder to find lodging.

Reply to: Telluride or Steamboat - help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted