We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Telluride...

Which Telluride hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin
reviews: 93
Getting to Telluride...

We are planning a Colorado trip in July - is flying into Denver the best bet? If so, how long is the drive (we know mountain driving can take longer) from Denver and what is the best route to take?

6 replies to this topic
Telluride...
Destination Expert
for Telluride
reviews: 5
1. Re: Getting to Telluride...

This question keeps coming up...

Denver is nowhere near Telluride (6.5 -7 hrs). Salt Lake City, Utah and Albuquerque, New Mexico are actually closer.

Try flying into Montrose or Durango... or Telluride.

Edited: 10:45 am, May 10, 2013
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 83
2. Re: Getting to Telluride...

There are several routes from Denver to Telluride, all scenic! It'll take about 7 hours plus stops. And there will be a lot of stops you'll probably want to make. Sometimes people headed to Southwest Colorado will make an overnight stop along the way, then an overnight in a different spot on the way back to Denver, usually somewhere very close to Denver so as to be able to get to the airport easily on the departure day.

Denver will probably be the cheapest flight, but in terms of time, gas $$, etc. it would be better to fly in to Montrose, Grand Junction, or Durango. There are some direct flights into Telluride in the winter, but in the summer you can connect to Telluride through Denver.

tellurideskiresort.com/TellSki/info/summer/a…

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
reviews: 152
3. Re: Getting to Telluride...

Or Grand Junction, we are the largest airport between Denver and Salt Lake City. You can get direct flights from Dallas/Ft. Worth and Houston. It's a 2 1/2 hr. drive to Telluride.

Colorado
4. Re: Getting to Telluride...

Montrose has the same direct flights and is 1.5 hours closer and has shuttles if you don't want a car. Please don't drive from Denver, it is a full day and people not used to that drive I have seen take over 10 hours to make it. Think about that as it is really difficult to fly to Denver and then drive to Telluride in the same day then you have to do it again going back (that is the worse part), thus, you are talking about 4 days of your vacation consumed with traveling.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
reviews: 19
5. Re: Getting to Telluride...

There are usually direct flights to Montrose from Houston and/or Dallas in the summer and winter. Not during the off seasons of spring and fall.

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 4
6. Re: Getting to Telluride...

We are going to drive from Dallas.... 10 hours to ABQ day one and then 6 hours the next. I tried using miles on AA but they only go to Montrose and then we would need a car. I'll save my miles (25,000 x 4) and enjoy the drive in my Jeep.

Reply to: Getting to Telluride...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted