We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one year in telluride

Which Telluride hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
chicago
reviews: 19
one year in telluride

Planning on spending a year, what month would be the best to start? Thinking september 1so my daughter could start school on day one but I'm open to suggestions? Where is the best place to find a two bedroom rental? Prefer in town. If I bring my car do the rentals have parking? Could I survive without a car? Not planning on really traveling much

13 replies to this topic
Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
reviews: 20
1. Re: one year in telluride

Knowing absolutely nothing of the Telluride long-term rental market but dealing with a similar style of resort rental market in Summit County, I would be open to going out there whenever you can find a rental that you like that is in your price point.

You may want to start looking around now to just get an idea of rental prices to make sure you are in the ballpark. Get addresses and use mapquest.com or other online map features to see where the rental is in relation to town especially if you will not have a car.

In my opinion, you might have more options if you are open to going out in late May/early June. Sometimes, at least here in Summit County, there are more long-term rental options available at that time vs the Fall due to renters whom came in for the winter season, signed a long-term lease and then broke their lease once the season was over (does not happen often but does here and there.) those owners are left looking for tenants and typically there is not much of an influx of renters in late spring/1st part of summer.

Due to the fact you might have no car, again, I would keep tabs with property management companies, craigslist.com, online newspaper classified section (I assume Telluride has one) as it would seem the location is perhaps more important if you can come into Telluride at any point leading up to school starting.

If you are not seeing much online, you may want to post on Craigslist putting what you are looking for (it's free). Most rentals should have parking (might be surface parking without a garage) but I would be surprised for a renal to have no parking availability.

Car- If you can swing one, it's not bad to have unless you really are not going anywhere. Telluride is a cool place, but it is isolated so it might be nice to have a car to just get out of dodge once in awhile or for a long school break but again, that is up to you.

I would recommend not waiting till last second especially if you have school age kid as you might have to accept something you are not excited about. Start your search now via prop. management companies, online newspaper, craigslist as mentioned and be open to go when you find the right place (price and location). As the ski season gets closer, the more people start coming into town and then it becomes more competitive (prices might go up, depending on the telluride rental market...the whole supply/demand thing). Less demand in my opinion typically after ski season and that demand goes up as you get closer to ski season.

Best of luck.

Matt

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
reviews: 16
2. Re: one year in telluride

I believe school starts before September 1st in Telluride, you also need to check with the district about enrollment. I can't imagine why you would want to move in and have your daughter start school on the same day, seems like a lot of undue stress on her.

As stated above, check the paper, craigslist and property management companies for rental. I would bring a car, Telluride is isolated and without public transportation outside of the area. The area is beautiful, it would be a shame to spend a year there and never get out of one very tiny town.

chicago
3. Re: one year in telluride

i didnt mean the exact same day, i just meant id like to be there before school started so she could start school the day is starts and not come in two weeks late

this year they started 8/27, so id shoot for 8/1

thanks for all of the suggestions : )

i have a car so ill bring it

chicago
4. Re: one year in telluride

also, what the least desirable time to be in telluride?

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
5. Re: one year in telluride

I think you will definitely need the car. Telluride is a small town and many people go to Montrose (1.5 hour away) for grocery shopping, clothes, etc. to get more reasonable prices. How much time have you spent in Telluride previous to this?

As a general rule, May is the worst time in town. It is off season, many stores close and it is considered mud season, due to the snow melting, muddy conditions, etc. Late Oct/early Nov are also considered off season, few tourists, etc, the weather is not unpleasant tho.

chicago
6. Re: one year in telluride

I've been to telluride four times during ski season and ouray, durango, vail in the fall

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
7. Re: one year in telluride

OK, just wanted to make sure that you are aware of how small it is. That would be a deal breaker for some people to realize that there is no big chain grocery store, no chain pharmacy, etc. The nearest stores of that type (Walgreen's, Walmart, Target, City Market, etc) will be found in Montrose. The gondola closes for a month, twice a year. Usually about 4-15 to 5-15 and again in the late fall.

chicago
8. Re: one year in telluride

That's part of the reason I want to spend a year there :)

Telluride, CO
reviews: 10
9. Re: one year in telluride

The best way to find lodging in Town isn't really Craig's list look online at the Telluride Daily Planet, that will be your best resource finding housing. You won't be able to find any housing through the housing authority because you need to have had a job for at least a year within San Miguel County. My wife teaches second grade, the school system is top notch. They are small classes and all the teachers really care about the children and their jobs.

I would have to disagree with endosunshine, May is a great time in Telluride, it's quite, not a lot going on and you really get to reconnect with your fellow locals. The winter and summer can become a rat race with all the festivals and skiing. There are the occasional snow storms, but hey it's the mountains crazy weather is just part of the experience!!

If you can work for the ski resort you will get a ski pass, and usually they provide a hefty discount for spouses and children. Start thinking about that pass now, it creeps up on you and last year it was $1,198 for the early season discount. Which goes till 10/31.

Telluride...
Destination Expert
for Telluride
reviews: 5
10. Re: one year in telluride

Be careful. Telluride is addictive. If you spend a whole year here and still actually muster the strength to move away, you will regret it!

For the rest of your life you will always wonder "what if I had just stayed in Telluride?" It will make you second guess every other living situation you find yourself in, forever.

Reply to: one year in telluride
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted