We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4x4 Trails

Which Telluride hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
reviews: 6
4x4 Trails

Coming to Telluride for the first time in July and I would like to drive some 4x4 trails using my own vehicle. I've done a bit of googling but Trip Advisor always is the best source!

Any suggestions? Websites? Clubs? Places to get maps? Nothing too crazy but definately unpaved. I'll be driving my Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.

Thanks!

Telluride...
Destination Expert
for Telluride
reviews: 5
1. Re: 4x4 Trails

Look at Last Dollar Road and Alta Lakes Road (easy). Ophir Pass (moderate). Imogene Pass (moderate/hard). Black Bear Pass (REALLY hard).

Dallas, Texas
2. Re: 4x4 Trails

Perfect - thanks for the quick reply!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
reviews: 28
3. Re: 4x4 Trails

Imogene Pass has 2 way traffic with the uphill vehicle having the right of way. In many areas there is no room to pass, so you must be comfortable backing up until there is adequate room to pass.

www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=80

Black Bear Pass is one direction only, with one extremely difficult and dangerous section. Over the years there have been several deaths involving both vehicles and dirt bikes. I would not attempt it unless you are VERY experienced. I have done all the others,but am not interested in ever doing Black Bear, due to the danger factor.

www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=79

The following link has some photos of the views and also of some crashed vehicles. Then it degenerates into ads, etc.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=black+bear+pass+deaths&qpvt=black+bear+pass+deaths&FORM=IGRE

Edited: 5:29 pm, April 22, 2013
Dallas, Texas
4. Re: 4x4 Trails

No death wish here...... thanks for the heads up.

Dallas, Texas
5. Re: 4x4 Trails

Made it to Telluride! Fantastic time so far. Great hiking today at Lizard Head and tomorrow we will enjoy the parade. Friday will be Ophir Pass in the Jeep. Really enjoying meeting the folks around town...all giving great advice and tips. Thanks to all.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
reviews: 28
6. Re: 4x4 Trails

The people in Telluride are a friendly bunch. :-D

7. Re: 4x4 Trails

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 05, 2014