We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Telluride area in July

Which Telluride hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
kansas
reviews: 32
Telluride area in July

My husband and I are thinking of checking out the telluride area in July for some beautiful scenery. We like camping and hiking but I tore my ACL skiing so I'm out of commission on strenuous hikes. Are there beautiful spots we can drive to or take lifts to? Any must see items/recommendations. We are also wondering how crowded the parks/campgrounds are? Thanks in advance!

Cortez, Colorado
reviews: 132
1. Re: Telluride area in July

Telluride in July is beautiful.... you can take the Gondola from the town to Mountain Village, and you can get off on top.... there are lots of places you can drive... over Lizard Head Pass to the town of Dolores... up to the town of Ophir and over Dallas Divide to the town of Ouray, where they have several hot spring pool options.... this is about a 50 mile drive each way and takes a little over an hour.

No matter what because of the parking situation (or rather LACK of) you WILL have to do a lot of walking in Telluride... and it is 9000 feet above sea level and not exactly level... be prepared.

Weekends are busy with festivals... and the rates are pretty high.... late fall and spring are the off season.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
reviews: 19
2. Re: Telluride area in July

Telluride is gorgeous in July. Early July is peak wildflower season, if possible go to Ouray and take a jeep tour over to Yankee Boy Basin ~ covered in flowers, just beautiful. The drive from Ridgway to Telluride, over Dallas Divide has fantastic scenery and usually many wildlife sightings. The San Juan Skyway is a loop that covers Ouray, Ridgway, Telluride, Rico, Cortez, Durango, etc. Fantastic scenery the entire trip. The Million Dollar Hwy is the portion primarily between Silverton and Ouray and is incredibly beautiful. I have driven this many times and NEVER get tired of it. About an hour 45 min away is the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, near Montrose ~ some beautiful sights here from the overlooks without having to do any hiking.

There is plenty you can see and do without having to go hiking. Jeep tours, horseback riding, glider tour above Telluride (pricey, but well worth it.) Parking in Telluride can be an issue at times, but that walking would be done on sidewalks, so should be OK for you. There are hills and the altitude is high, but you should still be OK. I come from sea level several times each year and adapt pretty quickly to the altitude.

www.visittelluride.com

www.telluridemuseum.org

www.mountain-village.co.us

www.telluridetours.com

www.OurayColorado.com

www.SilvertonColorado.com

www.visitmesaverde.com

www.visitmontrose.com

www.ridewithroudy.com

Glider rides with Glider Bob..970-708-0862

Edited: 10:14 am, April 19, 2013
kansas
reviews: 32
3. Re: Telluride area in July

Thank You so much for you responses. We talked about finding some great overlooks, horseback riding and the Durango/Silverton Train.

Any ideas or suggestions on great campgrounds?

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
reviews: 19
4. Re: Telluride area in July

Sorry, can't help you there.... I am not a camping kind of girl. :-)

Maybe someone else can make some suggestions.

Telluride...
Destination Expert
for Telluride
reviews: 5
5. Re: Telluride area in July

Take a 4x4 tour. It's like hiking through the high country but you aren't walking. And you're learning a ton about the area while you're at it.

www.tellurideoffroad.com

6. Re: Telluride area in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 22, 2014