We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Telluride on the 4th of July

Which Telluride hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
reviews: 28
Telluride on the 4th of July

My wife, her friend, and I will be making our way to Telluride from Mesa Verde on July 3rd and are planning to stay 2 nights so that we get to enjoy the 4th of July in the USA. (We are from Australia) We will arrive around 6pm on the 3rd and will leave about 9am or 10am on the 5th. Where would be best to stay so that we can fully enjoy the festivities and are there any must do things on the 4th that we just shouldn't miss?

Any advice for lodgings, meals, and/or activities would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Martyn

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
reviews: 19
1. Re: Telluride on the 4th of July

There will be a parade during the day, mostly made up of locals, school kids, etc just having fun. In the evening there will be fire works. To actually see them, you will need to be outside. Since Telluride is in a canyon, the views are vertical. I have never watched them from Mountain Village, but I am guessing you can see them from there as well. I would suggest staying in Telluride proper for the most access to the events.There are some excellent restaurants ~ the Sheridan Chop House, 221 South Oak and Cosmopolitan are popular favorites for fine dining. For more casual ~ Brown Dog, Flora Dora, Siam Thai.

Edited: 4:46 pm, April 04, 2013
Colorado
2. Re: Telluride on the 4th of July

I would look and call for lodging ASAP as that is a very busy time in Telluride. You can stay in the Mountain Village and take the gondola, but there will be long lines in the mid morning (10:00) prior to the 11:00 parade and then after the fireworks. The fireworks are not visible from the Mountain Village. If you can find lodging in Telluride that would be best because of those two factors.

Prior to the parade jets do a fly by through the valley which is pretty cool to see and after the parade (which is an awesome homegrown parade) there is a fundraiser BBQ in the Town park put on by the local volunteer fire departments. It is a fun time and great food. After that there are kids games in the park for a few hours. Fireworks start about 30 minutes after sunset (usually 9:00 or so) and are spectacular in the valley. They allow folks to set up tarps, chairs etc... and watch the fireworks from Town park ball fields which is fun, but can be crowded.

A word of warning, last year they canceled the fireworks because of the drought and fire conditions and with the winter that Telluride had, it is possible that without rain in June they could be canceled again. They have only been canceled twice in 20 years, but it is a possibility. Regardless, it is a great time to be there.

In my opinion, the 4th of July is the absolute best day in Telluride and Telluride is the absolute best place to be for the 4th of July in the Country.

Enjoy

Telluride...
Destination Expert
for Telluride
reviews: 5
3. Re: Telluride on the 4th of July

Don't miss our small town, community parade! All of the locals are in it... And all of the tourists (and 2nd home owners) have left their own town's parades and are on the sidewalk watching ours. :)

Edited: 10:52 am, April 09, 2013
4. Re: Telluride on the 4th of July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 11, 2014