We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Telluride bluegrass festival for young teens?

Which Telluride hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Telluride bluegrass festival for young teens?

I am wrestling with a decision as to whether or not it would be worth the expense and challenge to take my 11 and 13 year old to the Telluride Bluegrass festival. Kids have been there once in summer but not during festival. Trip was planned but many things have happened.......now it would be costly and somewhat challenging to get there but I don't want to deprive kids of a "great experience," or.....anyone think....maybe....kids this age might just "suffer" in the crowds and sun and in the end it might end up not being worth it?

I ask because there are only such great reviews and everyone loves this festival.....anyone have any other thoughts?

Food hard to get due to crowds?

Long lines for gondola?

drunk people?

bathrooms?

Easy music in town if in gate festival grounds get boring for the kids?

Any comments welcome!!!!!!

Montrose, Colorado
reviews: 10
1. Re: Telluride bluegrass festival for young teens?

My thought is . . . if you don't go can I have your tickets? ;)

Montrose, Colorado
reviews: 10
2. Re: Telluride bluegrass festival for young teens?

My kids are about the same age. I don't think I'd take them to the festival, although I do think it would be appropriate & safe to take them. I think they'd be a little bored. I can picture my teen sleeping on the blanket the whole time and my 11 yr old with a book or iTouch. I would, however, leave them in a condo in town to do those same activities - especially if the airline tickets were already paid for and the family could spend some time together (missing parts of the festival) on bikes or hiking.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco, Copper Mountain, Breckenridge
reviews: 18
3. Re: Telluride bluegrass festival for young teens?

Oh - you beat me to it Shellking! Sold out in 4 hours - dang it! (and nothing today for the Tuesday leftovers :-( With Mumford and Sons playing it will be awesome and next to impossible to go now - I say to you GO! it will be an amazing experience for your kids. That said, we went to a festival last year with friends who left their kids and they were able to let loose and have fun! Have fun! Jealous!

Steamboat Springs...
reviews: 19
4. Re: Telluride bluegrass festival for young teens?

We don't go to Telluride anymore, it got a little too big for my taste.. Rockygrass in Lyons is now our choice (same folks at Planet Bluegrass put it on).

Tough call on the kids. I see a fair amount at RG. A lot of them are musicians, though. They seem to like it. There is the river running right thru the venue for tubing and it is1 day shorter than Telluride. This one might be a bit much in keeping the interest high for kids that age, especially during 4 days of music.

Telluride...
Destination Expert
for Telluride
reviews: 5
5. Re: Telluride bluegrass festival for young teens?

This is a hippy music festival in liberal Colorado mountain town... How well will your kids deal with people openly smoking pot?

Chicago, Illinois
6. Re: Telluride bluegrass festival for young teens?

Thank you all for your input! think you are all right. I'm giving this a couple more days of thought as one child IS a "hippie musician and other is a video game urban soccer player who'd probably sooner die than attend a music festival 3 days in a row.

BUT....If I don't o which seems the likely outcome.....I will have 2 adult tickets to sell (my one child under the age of needing to buy one.

Colorado
7. Re: Telluride bluegrass festival for young teens?

With good parenting, kids can have a blast at these festivals.

I know I did and my kids do now.

New York City, New...
reviews: 2
8. Re: Telluride bluegrass festival for young teens?

I'm going to the Bluegrass Festival this year and think it's perfectly safe and there are a LOT of kids there of all ages. There is so much to do besides the festival and I'm sure they'd make some friends. My kids are the "wired" type, so my kids probably would do the same as yours since they are not especially bluegrass (but they are huge music fans in general) fans...so it's up to you. As my friend in Denver said to me, she doesn't generally bring her kids, just because she doesn't want them getting the contact high from huge cloud than hangs over the box canyon...LOL. Hence, not due to the smoke cloud issue, but due to the fact that they wouldn't appreciate the festival, although they'd appreciate Telluride, they are not going on this trip. Adults only this time around!

New York City, New...
reviews: 2
9. Re: Telluride bluegrass festival for young teens?

The town swells to well over 12K people, the lines are VERY long at restaurants and sometimes you can't get in...facilities and charging stations are limited if you are camping, which means those electronics might run dry on the kids, which would be a "no bueno", LOL. Streets & most places are chock a block with people EVERYWHERE. Besides school still being in session here in NY, my Denver friend tells me her teen kids still have a hard time sleeping at altitude, so they get kind of cranky when they are up that way. I'm at the campgrounds, so the late night noise and jam sessions are also a factor...if you are staying in non camping style lodging, may not be a problem for you.

10. Re: Telluride bluegrass festival for young teens?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 07, 2014