We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skyline Guest Ranch in Telluride

Which Telluride hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Howell, Michigan
Skyline Guest Ranch in Telluride

Does anyone know if the Skyline ranch is still in operation? I haven't been able to find it as a guest ranch, but I was hoping they still have at least a restaurant or lodging.

Also, we're planning a trip to that area in mid-Oct. Is the Red Mt. Pass still passable at that time of year?

Thanks!!

10 replies to this topic
Telluride...
Destination Expert
for Telluride
reviews: 5
1. Re: Skyline Guest Ranch in Telluride

It no longer exists. Meg Whitman (yes, that Meg Whitman) bought it as a personal vacation property.

And yes, Red Mountain Pass is a year-round highway.

Edited: 9:12 pm, July 07, 2011
Whitney, TX
reviews: 1
2. Re: Skyline Guest Ranch in Telluride

That's too bad. My husband and I did the week long Oct roundup back in 1998 and had a wonderful time with the Farney family and the "Atlanta Five" (a bunch of docs from Atlanta). Really great memories. I still have a pic of my husband and his horse "Tyrone" on my bookshelf.

Pasadena, California
3. Re: Skyline Guest Ranch in Telluride

Just saw this while looking for Skyline. How sad that it's gone. We spent 5 summers there with the Farney's. What a great time to return year after year with the same families from across the country. They had one of the most unique horse programs. I guess it's true that You can never go back!

Rochester, New York
4. Re: Skyline Guest Ranch in Telluride

So sad! My family spent many summers at Skyline during the 50's and 60's when it was ownd and operated by Art and Martha Peterson. I have sweet memories of the delicious smells and aromas coming from Marth's kitchen, the ringing of the large dinner bell when meals were ready and the addicting smells of Art's horse barn, drawing us in for another day on the ranch! They both drove jeeps into the surrounding high country for the thrill of a lifetime! How many trips Art made on Black Bear like it was nothing! Those were kinder, simpler times. I hope the new owners, since the Farny's, will appreciate the beauty and grandure of such a magnificent place as we did, back in the day. Telluride was still a ghost town, with miners and their stories. Time marches on, and now we just have memories! Rest in peace, Art and Martha!

Roswell, Georgia...
5. Re: Skyline Guest Ranch in Telluride

I too have many many great memories of Skyline as my family vacationed there in the early 80's. My older brother then went back to work for the Farny's as a wrangler. I could go on forever. Too bad it's gone. I always drempt of taking my family there when the time came. Ohh well.

Lincoln, United...
6. Re: Skyline Guest Ranch in Telluride

What a shame... My husband and I got married at Skyline in 1995 and we returned again the following year for our holiday from England. My 11 year old daughter has said for years that one day we should all go back for a family holiday.

Portland, Oregon
7. Re: Skyline Guest Ranch in Telluride

Ditto! Very sad to hear this wonderful property is in private hands. I spent a week there in 1986 and still have many fond memories of learning to barrel race and going on some wonderful trail rides.

Puerto Vallarta...
8. Re: Skyline Guest Ranch in Telluride

:(

Seattle, WA
9. Re: Skyline Guest Ranch in Telluride

Talk about memory lane. I worked one summer (1967) there for Art and Martha. My co-workers and I built a float for the 4th of July parade down the simple main street of Telluride - and we won first place! I remember Beau the dog and pouring salt instead of sugar all over a huge bowl of fresh strawberries and those wonderful jeep trips all over the mountains. great memories of a simpler, happier time with wonderful people.

reviews: 2
10. Re: Skyline Guest Ranch in Telluride

Same here, I spent 6 summers there as a kid with my family, riding horses, fly fishing, mountain climbing etc. To this day it is one of my most cherished memories. Now that I have kids I was hoping to take them there or to a place like it. Does anyone know of another such dude ranch in Co?

Reply to: Skyline Guest Ranch in Telluride
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted