We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski area near Chicago

Which Steamboat Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cape Town
reviews: 5
Ski area near Chicago

We are going to a conference in Chicago during the first week of December. I want to go and ski for a week after that. Can anyone give me advice on where to go. I come from South Africa

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 54
1. Re: Ski area near Chicago

You are in the wrong forum

Little Rock
reviews: 29
2. Re: Ski area near Chicago

You might try posting in the Chicago Illinois the Michigan and the Wisconsin forums.

And all likelihood most of the resorts in those areas would be not open or have very limited snow coverage.

From Chicago you can get direct flights to many ski resorts in the West (Colorado, Utah California, British Columbia Canada, etc.)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 55
3. Re: Ski area near Chicago

I live in south eastern Wisconsin and am an avid skier. Early in December is VERY iffy. Wilmot and Alpine Valley in Wisconsin attract lots of people from Chicago. They're small, with not much vertical and they may not be fully open then.

Since you have an entire week, I'd look at places to which you can fly non-stop from Chicago. With someplace large (like Vail) you may find a decent amount of terrain, even though the hill won't be fully open. Another option is to go someplace at high altitude (like Breckenridge or Winter Park) because they may have more snow.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 112
4. Re: Ski area near Chicago

You can get direct flights from Chicago to Montrose, Colorado. At Montrose you would have the option of skiing at Crested Butte or at Telluride, whichever had the better snow at the time.

You could also fly to Durango, where you could could choose between Durango Mountain or Wolf Creek Ski area, which often has the best early snow. It is a smaller ski area without lodging, however.

And of course if you fly in to Denver, you have the option of travel to several different resorts.

Park City, Utah is another good option.

You may want to have a few options in mind, then check with us about a week or two before you depart to see how the snow is looking. At that time, you shouldn't have a problem booking lodging.

Bettendorf, Iowa
reviews: 84
5. Re: Ski area near Chicago

Whitecap mountain in northen Wisconsin is great for the price.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 238
6. Re: Ski area near Chicago

As noted, get out of Chicago and head west. It's still very early but fly to Denver and look at good early season resorts including Copper Mountain, Winter Park, Breckenridge, Vail, etc.

Have fun.

Deerfield, Illinois
reviews: 157
7. Re: Ski area near Chicago

There is no skiing in Chicago. It's why we go to Steamboat. There are some tiny hills that call themselves ski areas around, but they all charge more than Howelsen with about 300 less vertical feet. Don't waste your time even thinking about it.

8. Re: Ski area near Chicago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 25, 2014