We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing in December

Which Steamboat Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cape Town
reviews: 6
Skiing in December

I wanted to find out where is a place in Colorado where I can definately ski in early December

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 50
1. Re: Skiing in December

All the big resorts will be open in December.

Aspen, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Aspen
2. Re: Skiing in December

Yes open, but early Dec may be thin on coverage. Do not expect all runs or all lifts to be open.

Deerfield, Illinois
reviews: 110
3. Re: Skiing in December

Wait as long as you can to book. There are good deals to be had prior to one week before Christmas (up to 15h or 16th usually). Safest bet is the areas with high base elevations; Copper, Winter Park. come to mind. Salt Lake - at the Cottonwood Canyons areas - is always safer bet that time of year. Save Steamboat for the two weeks after New Years, although this year they had a record December.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 195
4. Re: Skiing in December

As noted, some areas are typically better than others. Breckenridge, Copper, Keystone, Loveland, A Basin all higher elevation and typically better. Later is better. For sure everyone WILL be open in early December, but more and more terrain will open as the month goes on. I'm in ski business and am generally in Colorado November/December. I would suggest Breck or Copper as your best choices for likelihood of terrain and having sufficient resort amenities.

Have fun.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 50
5. Re: Skiing in December

If you are coming early December then the advice to wait is good advice. I'd plan the air portion to Denver then select the resort that has the best conditions as time gets closer. It is still off season you won't have trouble finding lodging.

Edited: 12:27 pm, June 21, 2013
Steamboat Springs...
reviews: 19
6. Re: Skiing in December

I hate to say it folks but higher elevations don't mean Jack at the beginning of the season. It's cold everywhere in the mountains. Where are the storms tracking? Northern, central, southern?? Which ever area gets hit with the storm tracks usually gets the most terrain open first. We've had a few great openings with tons of powder and no people. That is the ski area's dream come true.

7. Re: Skiing in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 23, 2014