We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing in August

Which Steamboat Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rhode Island
Level Contributor
390 posts
1 review
Fishing in August

Hi all. My girlfriend and I will be in Steamboat for a week in mid August. I'm wondering what the fishing will be like then. What are the best bets? Do all the rivers fish well through summer?

Also...can anyone recommend a good local fishing resource? Website, etc?

Thanks

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Fishing in August

The high country lakes fish best in August. The lakes in Buffalo Pass, the Zirkel Wilderness and the Flattops are your best bet. If river flows are still fairly strong the Yampa and Elk Rivers will be good in the AM and evenings. If we're really hot and river flows are low, we usually voluntarily leave the rivers alone until fall.

Steamboat Flyfisher, Bucking Rainbow and Straightline are the main fly shops in town. Google, Steamboat fishing. There are lots of sites.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
12 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Fishing in August

The Duty family that owns Bucking Rainbow run some really awesome trips and I believe they have a lot of private access to rivers as well, but as already mentioned all of the fly shops listed in the other post in town are really fantastic. The good news is that we've had so much snow this winter that it's been great for our rivers and lakes -- thank goodness as we've had droughts in the past and we love our water here in Steamboat!

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
390 posts
1 review
3. Re: Fishing in August

Thanks I'll keep that in mind. I might be able to talk myself into a guided trip, especially if the rivers are low and its tougher to find fish. I've never done that before because it feels very extravagant but there's a first time for everything. My girlfriend used to live out there but unfortunately doesn't fish so she's no help at all.

She just said she thinks they used to hang out at Old Town Pub sometimes and that her sister and brother in law's band played there a few times (though frankly she makes things up a lot so it could have been anywhere). We'll have to stop in!

4. Re: Fishing in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 12, 2014