We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Steamboat Springs last two weeks in May, WHAT to pack?!

Which Steamboat Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Springfield...
reviews: 2
Steamboat Springs last two weeks in May, WHAT to pack?!

I have never taken a cold vacation in my life so this is a new experience for me. I am unsure what to pack, and am trying not to overpack. Never skied in my life, and not sure I plan on doing so. Staying for a couple weeks with some friends from the area. I checked the temps and it looks like highs in mid 60s and lows high 30s. Is this accurate? I am thinking jeans with t shirts and jackets should work. Also, I have been reading it's quite muddy in May...probably need to bring my rain boots.

Nederland, Colorado
reviews: 11
1. Re: Steamboat Springs last two weeks in May, WHAT to pack?!

Ski season @ Steamboat ended weeks ago.

I'd say that temperature range is about right for mid to late May. Not exactly "cold" but you will want a jacket in the evening. Jeans and t-shirts are fine, a light fleece may be useful. It can be in the 70s and at this altitude the sun is strong so it often feels even warmer. I'd throw in a pair of shorts just in case. accuweather.com/en/…332189

Mud season is the term used for this time of year -- after skiing is over and before summer begins. It refers to the status of trails and dirt roads that turn muddy when the snow melts. It's not like there is mud everywhere. Do you plan on doing much hiking? If so, you may want to make sure your boots are waterproofed to protect them. There can still be snow on some trails.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 120
2. Re: Steamboat Springs last two weeks in May, WHAT to pack?!

I've never owned any rain boots, as our rains are usually intermittent showers. Most rain boots wouldn't be very good for hiking (no tread, not breathable) and you probably won't need them in town. Many visitors get by with tennis shoe/sneaker type shoes.

Layering is the key to dressing for changeable weather, which can be very chilly in the mornings and evenings and warm to hot by mid-day. Or rainy. Or windy. Or you might even see a little snow. Sometimes all on the same day. But I wouldn't consider late May a cold vacation. I do always throw in at least one pair of wool socks even in mid-summer. A fleece hoody and a wind/rain resistant jacket or windbreaker will be appreciated. You may want to bring or buy a brimmed hat or cap for sun protection.

Springfield...
reviews: 2
3. Re: Steamboat Springs last two weeks in May, WHAT to pack?!

Thank you for the replies, definately helping me get an idea of what and what not to bring. Traveled to Gatlinburg, TN last May and while it was a little rainy/chilly at times, still had beautiful weather to enjoy the hikes and see nature's beauty.

Steamboat Springs...
reviews: 16
4. Re: Steamboat Springs last two weeks in May, WHAT to pack?!

We always joke around here that if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes and it will change :-). Definitely bring a variety as it's kind of chilly in the morning, then pretty gorgeous by afternoon. Layers are definitely key. Roads are pretty dry by now - we're not experiencing too much mud - that's more applicable to April. It's gorgeous and green outside. As mentioned above, our altitude makes the sunshine feel even warmer even when the termperature might not register as high. And on the same token, you can walk 3 feet over to the shade of a tree and be cooled down immediately. No humidity here. Just gorgeous mountain air. Enjoy your time in Steamboat!

5. Re: Steamboat Springs last two weeks in May, WHAT to pack?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 12, 2014