We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2-mile snowshoe hike on first full day - too ambitious?

Which Steamboat Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, Alabama
reviews: 28
2-mile snowshoe hike on first full day - too ambitious?

Hi all - Thank you so much for all the help so far as we prepare for our trip to Steamboat! I've booked a 2-mile guided snowshoe tour for the morning after we fly in. We'll have been in town a little less than 24 hours by that point.

Although I am active and in reasonably good shape, I'm definitely not used to exertion in that kind of altitude - we're only a few hundred feet above sea level here at home. Will 2 miles be too ambitious that early in the game, with so short an acclimation period? We will stop for lunch, so I assume the hike will be split into roughly 1-mile chunks.

Thanks for your input!

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 54
1. Re: 2-mile snowshoe hike on first full day - too ambitious?

I am guessing here that a 2 mile guided tour will be on relatively flat terrain. If the altitude bothers you, you will know that before you head out. Drink and bring plenty of water.

If they split it up and you have lunch I am guessing too the pace to be relaxed.

Hopefully one of the Steamboat folks will have more info.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 232
2. Re: 2-mile snowshoe hike on first full day - too ambitious?

That's a pretty aggressive snowshoe outing if you're not accustomed to the activity. Will also depend on the snow conditions. For sure if you're dealing with deep, fresh snow that's a lot; hard pack a bit easier.

Have fun.

Birmingham, Alabama
3. Re: 2-mile snowshoe hike on first full day - too ambitious?

Thanks for the feedback. Per the website, the 2-mile hike is on Duster Trail. There's also a 1-mile hike on Vista Nature Trail. Hard to tell based on the info I have found how steep, etc. these trails are.

Steamboat Springs...
reviews: 19
4. Re: 2-mile snowshoe hike on first full day - too ambitious?

Duster is a cat track (summer service road). Not steep. Hard pack snow conditions. The issue would be elevation. I'm estimating the hike is somewhere at 9000- 9500 ft above sea level. Many people come from sea level and have no problem acclimating. If you haven't had any history of altitude problems before, you stand a fair chance of this not being a problem on this hike.

Don't drink alcohol the day before, and stay well hydrated with water. This hike should not be too strenuous for anyone that walks every other day for 45 minutes or better.

Steamboat Springs...
reviews: 83
5. Re: 2-mile snowshoe hike on first full day - too ambitious?

I suggest you reschedule for a day or two later just to be safe. BTW, I would suggest the Ruben at Ragnar's (my favorite there) for your lunch and no alcohol.

As Powderglut says, except for the altitude and Temperature, it's about the same as a two mile walk at home.

Cheers

Edited: 6:38 am, November 17, 2012
Birmingham, Alabama
6. Re: 2-mile snowshoe hike on first full day - too ambitious?

Thanks a bunch! I decided to push the hike a couple of days later. They only offer the 1-mile trail on the day I chose, so it'll be the Vista trail.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
7. Re: 2-mile snowshoe hike on first full day - too ambitious?

I live at the beach and go to Telluride several times a year. I am in pretty good shape and acclimate pretty quickly to the altitude.

However, on those first few days, I do get out of breath pretty easily. Also, if by chance, you get migraines ~ I almost always get one the 1st day I am there, no matter what precautions I take.

Have fun!

Birmingham, Alabama
8. Re: 2-mile snowshoe hike on first full day - too ambitious?

Good tip. I'm not prone to migraines, fortunately. I have been high in the Alps (10,000+ feet) on several occasions and never really had trouble with the altitude, other than a little lightheadedness and shortness of breath for the first 10 or 15 minutes, but then again I wasn't tramping a mile through snow. :-) Hoping that with a full 3 days to acclimate I'll be good to go.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 54
9. Re: 2-mile snowshoe hike on first full day - too ambitious?

You will be fine. If the altitude does not bother you a 2 mile hike/snowshoe on packed terrain is little different than a walk on a hard packed sandy beach.

10. Re: 2-mile snowshoe hike on first full day - too ambitious?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, December 16, 2013