We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snow blades

Which Steamboat Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
texas
reviews: 3
snow blades

Can anyone tell me if snow blades are good for beginners...Or for someone who has never skied. Thanks!!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
reviews: 38
1. Re: snow blades

I thought at first you were talking about snow "wiper' blades for your car!! LOL, I'm an old timer I guess!

Of course I had to look them up.... here's a link to Wiki... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow-blading

If you have never skiied before, I would take lessons on skiis first. If they recommend snowblades, then take a lesson with those. Do not venture out on the slopes without any training at all.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Steamboat Springs
reviews: 29
2. Re: snow blades

You are going to be better off on skis rather than snowblades till you feel comfortable skiing. And on a powder day you never want them.

UK
reviews: 4
3. Re: snow blades

Snowblades are probably easier to get around on than skis, but they are too limiting (i.e. they don't have very good stability and, as the previous poster says, as useless in powder conditions). You see some experienced skiers messing about on them sometimes, but they aren't really a viable alternative to skis...

Choose whether you want to learn to ski or snowboard and get proper lessons (maybe a "learn to ski/snowboard" package/week). The more proficient you become, the easier and the better fun it is. Good lessons will provide you with the technical knowledge and experience you need to become a proficient skier.

If budget isn't an issue, then look at taking a few half day private lessons to accelerate your learning. That is what I did: I learnt the basics with 1-to-1 privates and then went to group ski school after that.

Do not be tempted to try and teach yourself: it is dangerous, false economy and you really wont have as much fun... every year we see skiers on the bunny slope who are trying to teach themselves or their complete beginner friends... It ends up being 4-10 feet of uncontrolled falling before they hit the floor. Then they get up and repeat again all the way the hill. They will end up bruised, may well damage something (like a twisted knee), and probably not enjoying skiing...

Steamboat has an excellent ski school. :-)

UCC

4. Re: snow blades

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, September 12, 2009