We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

packing for steamboat in Sept

Which Steamboat Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Long Beach...
packing for steamboat in Sept

What do I need to pack for a woman in the daytime & at night? Will I need a heavy jacket? I will be there Sept 8th throught the 15th. I will be coming in from So Cal where it will be still very hot so I am "trying" not to overpack! Thanks alot .

jjtravelbug

Littleton, Colorado
reviews: 48
1. Re: packing for steamboat in Sept

You won't need a ski parka, but denim jacket or decent sweater will feel good in the evening. Steamboat is the epitome of casual - jeans are norm everywhere. It may be warm enough for short sleeves, maybe even shorts, during the day, but layers are the key - shed them when it's warm, and put them on when it cools off. That's a gorgeous time of year to be there and hopefully you'll get great weather!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
reviews: 33
2. Re: packing for steamboat in Sept

I just got back from Rocky Mtn Nat Park and the 2 days we were there, the temps never got above 70! Plus some rain.

A polar fleece type jacket and a rain shell would be probably enough, think layers! September can be warm too!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Steamboat Springs
reviews: 28
3. Re: packing for steamboat in Sept

Layers, layers, layers..... It can get into the 80's during the day but below freezing at night and it is pretty common to get a snowfall in September altho nothing usually sticks around till Halloween. You won't need a winter coat but I would bring a rain coat and a fleece/sweater and of course the staple pair of jeans.

Indian Rocks Beach...
reviews: 9
4. Re: packing for steamboat in Sept

I have been to Steamboat in September the last 3 of the last four years. Be sure to pack layers. I always bring a couple pairs of nice jeans, shorts, tanks hoodies or sweater and a fall jacket. The weather can change quickly and there is alot to do. I bring a couple dressier tops for nice dinners and just wear jeans and heals. Steamboat is very casual, you can get by without dress slacks or dresses. If you plan to do any hiking be sure to bring sturdy tennis shoes at a minimum. Most of all drink lots of water and take a really good moisturizer and conditioner or your skin and hair will get dry fast! Two years ago I went in September and they had a blizzard. I couldn't get my connection from Denver to Hayden and my friend had to drive to Denver to get me. The pass was closed on the way back and we had to stay the night in Silverthorne to wait it out. It has also been in the 80's in September when I'm there. Gt the picture, anything can happen. It's a beautiful time of the year to go! Actually I've been every season and love Steamboat no matter what time of year. Have a great time. I'm going this week instead of Sept. this year. Relax and enjoy!

Colorado
reviews: 73
5. Re: packing for steamboat in Sept

A good friend of mine lives in Steamboat. We are planning to go camping with him there next weekend and he's informed us to dress warm. Just a couple mornings ago he woke up to a crisp 42 degree morning!! Hard to believe when it is currently nearly 100 degrees here in the foothills of Colorado.

You always have to be prepared for cold weather in the mountains. As the pp mentioned, you probably don't need a ski parka, but bring long sleeves and a jacket. Have fun!!

Plus, if you pack a light jacket and long sleeves it will probably be sunny and 80 the entire time you're here!! Isn't that part of Murphy's law?? :-)

6. Re: packing for steamboat in Sept

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, September 07, 2009