We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Salida a good option on the way to NM?

Which Salida hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St Paul, MN
reviews: 17
Staying in Salida a good option on the way to NM?

Hello- we are planning a road trip from MN to the balloon fiesta in Albuquerque in early Oct. Thought we might spend a few days in southern CO on our way throug in late Sept. Probably will be traveling on I-25 and then turning west to connect with south 285 as we will be in Chimayo, NM for a few days.

Would Salida be a good place for a couple of days to see the fall colors, hike and photo ops? We prefer small towns, B&Bs, restaurants where the locals go,etc.

Thank you for your help.

15 replies to this topic
Nederland, Colorado
reviews: 6
1. Re: Staying in Salida a good option on the way to NM?

Thought I'd bump this up for you.

Salida is a nice little town, it would be a great place to stay. I haven't been in the area in the fall, so can't help you with fall color hikes there. Hope someone else replies.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
reviews: 152
2. Re: Staying in Salida a good option on the way to NM?

Salida in the fall is gorgeous if the timing is right. It borders the Collegiate Peaks - a string of 14,000 ft peaks. The road is actually called the Collegiate Peaks Byway.

http://byways.org/explore/byways/67936

One year I caught it just perfect. The peaks had fresh snow on them and the gold of the aspen against that with the green of the pines. Oh, oh, oh. What great memories. Hope your trip will be as great.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 83
3. Re: Staying in Salida a good option on the way to NM?

Were you thinking of I-25 south from Denver, then west at Colorado Springs or Pueblo? If so, consider instead taking 285 from Denver over Kenosha Pass. That's one of the highly recommended spots for aspen viewing. Either that, or if you have the time, go west from Denver on I-70, then either through Breckenridge or Leadville, where you get the Top of the Rockies Byway and the Collegiate Peaks Scenic Byway, too.

P.S. SusieLou, when I read your post, I wanted to hit the "like" button! Keep forgetting there isn't one on the forum!

Edited: 8:30 pm, May 05, 2012
St Paul, MN
reviews: 17
4. Re: Staying in Salida a good option on the way to NM?

Thank you all for your great ideas.

Looks like a beautiful area and we can't wait to go there.

Are there any restaurants or lodging you would recommend?

We enjoy B&Bs or motels that are clean, safe and quiet. Have read good reviews about Silver Ridge Lodge and Tudor Rose B&B.

Thanks!

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
5. Re: Staying in Salida a good option on the way to NM?

I've never stayed there so can't be of help. I was just passing through. Hopefully the reviews here on TA will be of some help.

Salida has a wonderful artist colony so if you like galleries you might want to plan on spending some time in town.

Golden, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Denver
reviews: 34
6. Re: Staying in Salida a good option on the way to NM?

Salida is a good place to stop. I've stopped there before, both overnight and just to get lunch while driving to new Mexico. There are several nice little cafes in town. One thing that is on my list that I have yet to do is to stop by the brewpubs in town. There used to be just one, but I see now there are two. You can find them on the interactive beer map of Colorado on this link beerdrinkersguidetocolorado.com/Beer_Map/BDG…

As misspwestslope suggested. I would take U.S. 285 from Denver to New Mexico, unless you want to visit the Colorado Springs Area. When my out of state relatives visit I send them that way rather the I-25, and they were always happy with that. One relative wouldn't listen, went down I-25 on the way out of Denver, but came back on 285, and was forced to admit U.S. 285 is much, much more scenic, and an easy road to drive.

Princeton, New...
7. Re: Staying in Salida a good option on the way to NM?

Any suggestions for hotels in Salida?

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
8. Re: Staying in Salida a good option on the way to NM?

Welcome to TripAdvisor, Martha. If you want a wide variety of reviews on Salida's lodging just take a look to the left side of the page and there you'll find reviews of lots of different places. Hopefully one will meet your needs.

Boulder, Colorado
reviews: 207
9. Re: Staying in Salida a good option on the way to NM?

Just got back.....it's been about 4 times so far in the past several years. Can't help you w/lodging because we stay at 4 Seasons RV Park.........

Definitely take Route 285...it's a winner!

And definitely eat at LAUGHING LADIES & CURRENTS!!

Have fun..............................

Colorado Springs...
reviews: 1
10. Re: Staying in Salida a good option on the way to NM?

We have stayed a couple of times at the Holiday Inn Express, and larely twice at the new Hampton Inn. Both are fine, located along US 50 and just a short drive from dowtown.

Our favorite restaurant is the Laughing Ladies Restaurant downtown. Good food and quite a history. Makes shopping at Home Depot sound dull.

On your drive to New Mexico, takes the US 285 south to where CO 17 branches off. Take it south and look for the sign to the Great Sand Dune National Park. The turnoff is to the east, 7 miles past Hooper. Then, head south on the CO 150 to the US 160 and east for 7 miles to Fort Garland, and head south on the scenic CO 159, which becomes NM 522 after you cross the state line. Takes you to Taos, etc.

Reply to: Staying in Salida a good option on the way to NM?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted