We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Denver to Montrose

Which Montrose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Yorkshire
reviews: 1
Driving from Denver to Montrose

Hello all you Americans.I am a British honeymooner travelling from Denver to Montrose on route to LA.I can't decide on the best route to take.Fantastic scenic views and qood driving times are a must.Please help!

4 replies to this topic
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
reviews: 88
1. Re: Driving from Denver to Montrose

285 South (joins with 24 South of Buena Vista) to 50 West. You'll cross a half dozen high mountain passes and the scenery is gorgeous.

Yorkshire
reviews: 1
2. Re: Driving from Denver to Montrose

Cheers for that.I will look forward to the views.

Edited: 2:09 pm, May 09, 2012
Montrose, Colorado
reviews: 13
3. Re: Driving from Denver to Montrose

I agree with smushie. I live in Montrose and that is the route we usually take. I would avoid I-70 for sure. Enjoy!

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 100
4. Re: Driving from Denver to Montrose

I think it's a little more scenic to take Interstate 70 west from Denver, then you have several choices. Probably our favorite combination of good drive time and scenery would be through Glenwood Canyon to Glenwood Springs, then south to Carbondale and Redstone, then over McClure Pass and on to Delta and Montrose.

Next favorite scenic route, probably I70 to 24 south at Minturn to Leadville and Buena Vista, then 50 west. This route would get some of the Top of the Rockies and the Collegiate Peaks Scenic Byways. Gorgeous drive.

And we also like the route Smushie describes.

Reply to: Driving from Denver to Montrose
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted