We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Montrose???

Which Montrose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
28 posts
37 reviews
Stay in Montrose???

I would like your opinions as where to stay. I will be in the area for a week. I do not want to stay in Telluride because of the crowds. I am debating between Ouray and Montrose. I am renting a jeep and plan on seeing the sights between Montrose and Silverton. I will be flying out of Montrose. Thanks!

2 replies to this topic
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
8,510 posts
124 reviews
1. Re: Stay in Montrose???

Montrose will probably have economical lodging, and a variety of restaurants; and is a good place to stay for visiting the Black Canyon, mountain biking on the Uncompahgre Plateau, or a day trip to Telluride, Gunnison/Crested Butte or Grand Mesa, or even Lake City. It is a good sized town, with nice views of surrounding mountains. There are a couple of nice small museums and a historic downtown. Montrose is not in the mountains, though. It was historically a transportation hub, agriculture and supply depot for the surrounding mountain and mining communities, and it remains so to this day.

So, you may want to stay a day or two in Montrose and then spend the rest of your time in Ouray to explore the mountains and visit Silverton, Durango, and/or Telluride. Ouray is a picturesque, historic village in a dramatic mountain/canyon setting.

If you are staying on paved roads, you won't need to rent a jeep for that. And if you want to explore some of the county dirt roads or 4 wheel drive trails (Alpine Loop, Owl Creek Pass, etc) you will need to take a jeep tour or rent a jeep from one of the rental companies that rent vehicles for off highway use rather than from the regular rental agencies.

Level Contributor
28 posts
37 reviews
2. Re: Stay in Montrose???

Thank you for the information...it was VERY helpful! Ouray sounds much more beautiful but splitting the stays sounds like an excellent idea.

Question about driving the passes. I am renting a Jeep Liberty. Will that be fine on the passes or do you need an off road Jeep??? I have never driven on a pass and would appreciate any advice. But I grew up on a farm and am used to driving on gravel roads.

Also, when hiking...do I need bug spray for mosquitoes and ticks? Do I need to watch out for snakes. Bugs and snakes freak me out.

Reply to: Stay in Montrose???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted