We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first timer CO Day 5

Which Montrose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adairsville, Georgia
reviews: 32
first timer CO Day 5

plan is to leave Carbondale 82 to Glenwood Springs. 70 to silt. County road 342 to 65 in Mesa.65 to Cedaredge to 92 outside of Delta. 50 to Montrose. Is this doable or am I missing too much? I plan on spending Day 6 @ Black Canyon and Day 7 @ gunnison and Day 8 afternoon in CO Springs to fly out. Are the roads renatl car friendly?

11 replies to this topic
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 82
11. Re: first timer CO Day 5

I understand the feeling, jefhtro! I feel the same way...wish I didn't! If you decide not to drive from Ouray to Silverton, maybe take a jeep tour from Ouray higher into the mountains if you can find a half day in your schedule. And endosunshine's given you another great route which doesn't involve the unnerving parts but still has gorgeous views. I only suggested the Million Dollar Highway because you had mentioned Independence Pass, but maybe you don't want to do either one.

If you don't want to drive Independence Pass, just go from Leadville to Interstate 70 and through Glenwood Canyon (where you had wanted to hike Hanging Lake anyway) and then through Glenwood to Carbondale and Aspen that way. Still an awesome drive and no white knuckles!

Reply to: first timer CO Day 5
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted