We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first timer CO Day 5

Which Montrose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adairsville, Georgia
reviews: 32
first timer CO Day 5

plan is to leave Carbondale 82 to Glenwood Springs. 70 to silt. County road 342 to 65 in Mesa.65 to Cedaredge to 92 outside of Delta. 50 to Montrose. Is this doable or am I missing too much? I plan on spending Day 6 @ Black Canyon and Day 7 @ gunnison and Day 8 afternoon in CO Springs to fly out. Are the roads renatl car friendly?

11 replies to this topic
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
reviews: 19
1. Re: first timer CO Day 5

The roads are paved and fine for any car. You could have lunch in Cedaredge at the Apple Shed. Nice spot that serves sandwiches, salads, etc.

Did you consider taking 133 out of Carbondale to Hotchkiss, 92 to Delta and then 50 to Montrose. That would be a nice route and more scenic than the interstate.

Adairsville, Georgia
2. Re: first timer CO Day 5

I ran across a link that the mesa scenic highway was a must see. I do not know. I knew I would be fairly close to it @ Carbondale and thought it would be good enroute to Montrose. I had looked at 133, maybe check out Paonia. Apple Shed sounds good. thanks

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 83
3. Re: first timer CO Day 5

Grand Mesa is a very nice drive. Lots of lakes and trees, but it is a fairly flat-topped mountain so you don't get as much of the dramatic views and interesting shapes of the craggy peaks and mountain tops as you do on some of the other scenic drives. I love Grand Mesa, but since you only have seven days, it wouldn't be on my list of top things for you to see.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 83
4. Re: first timer CO Day 5

As I posted on your other question, I agree with endosunshine's suggestion to go over McClure Pass to Hotchkiss, Delta, Montrose. Since you will be so close, you might want to include Ouray and the Million Dollar Highway section of the San Juan Skyway Scenic Byway (to Silverton or at least to the top of Red Mountain Pass). This would be one of the top "musts" on many itineraries.

If you do decide on the Grand Mesa route, though, a stop at Pioneer Town in Cedaredge is interesting.

Edited: 10:03 am, July 23, 2011
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
5. Re: first timer CO Day 5

I too, consider the Million Dollar Hwy a "must see"when in SW Colorado. It is drop dead gorgeous scenery. I have driven it many times and never cease to be amazed by the beauty.

Adairsville, Georgia
6. Re: first timer CO Day 5

Thanks for all the input. Hotchkiss delta it is. But that apple place sounded good. I'm sure there are some other good places on 133 or 92

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
7. Re: first timer CO Day 5

If you are not in a hurry, Cedaredge would be a short detour from Delta, if you really want to eat there. I will see what I can think of in Delta that is good too.

Adairsville, Georgia
8. Re: first timer CO Day 5

I plan on going over Independence Pass twin lakes to Aspen and if I survive this and the other drives. I might get the nerve to go for the million dollar highway. I rode choppers in the military buy now the thought of going over those mountains sound pretty intimidating. I think I'll pick a really calm quiet high spot and just sit there until I'm good with it. After reading trip advisor reviews it sounds hairy. My wife says she will drive and that's scary in GA. I could not imagine riding with her @ those mountains. Anyway it still sounds fun. Thanks

Edited: 2:20 am, July 24, 2011
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
9. Re: first timer CO Day 5

Here's a tip... if you are nervous about it, you should be the one to drive. You feel more in control that way and not at the mercy of someone else (even your wife). ;-)

I have driven that route many times (Million$$), often alone and am not scared by it. (I'm female) Yes, you want to go slow and be careful, but it is all perfectly nice paved roads. If you drove it from Silverton to Ouray you would be on the inside lane (next to the mountain) on the area with the biggest drop offs.

However you do it, take time to pull into a couple of the pull out areas and get some great pictures.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
10. Re: first timer CO Day 5

Another area with "drop dead gorgeous" scenery is between Ridgway and Telluride and this one does not have any steep cliffs and drop offs. You could consider that as an alternative if you're not feeling up the Million Dollar Hwy.

From 550 you would turn onto 62 at Ridgway and take that over the Dallas Divide. Take a left onto 145 and that goes into Telluride, beautiful red rocks and cliffs along there - but they are up above the road, not dropping off from it.

Reply to: first timer CO Day 5
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted