We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel time from Mesa Verde NP to Montrose?

Which Montrose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 2
travel time from Mesa Verde NP to Montrose?

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to drive from MVNP up to Montrose? Is the road through Telluride faster or is it best to go over to Durango and up?

We will be driving up there after a busy day exploring MVNP and want to be able to arrive in the daylight.

Thanks for any help.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
reviews: 38
1. Re: travel time from Mesa Verde NP to Montrose?

Either route is about 3.5 hours. I think the route via Telluride is an easier drive, but it has been a long time since I drove to Telluride.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
reviews: 185
2. Re: travel time from Mesa Verde NP to Montrose?

I don't think you are going to be able to make it from MVNP to Montrose in the daylight if you are going to spend a full day at MVNP. The mileage is only about 142 miles or so either way but it is slow driving over narrow, 2 lane mountain roads for parts of the trip so it will take at least 3 hrs. or more to drive either way. If you are not comfortable driving in the mountains (not hills) then I would suggest taking the Telluride route. You will bypass the Million Dollar Highway - a section with sheer dropoffs and few or no guardrails. Some great videos are on YouTube - look for them by truckertwotimes's Videos. He has 3 of them going from Durango to the top of Red Mountain Pass - not quite all the way to Ouray. It will give you a good visual. Just type in Durango in the search at his website and you can view all 3. Another thing is that the sun "sets" a lot earlier in the mountain canyons since many areas only get sunlight when it is directly overhead so by late afternoon it will begin to be darker in some areas and deer will begin to move onto the highway areas. Would it be possible for you to spend the night in either Cortez or Durango and begin the drive in the a.m. when you are fresh?

reviews: 2
3. Re: travel time from Mesa Verde NP to Montrose?

Thanks for the info. I think we will take the Telluride route and check out the Million Dollar highway video instead of driving it!

We will be at MVNP the previous day also, so I think we can leave by mid afternoon.

THANKS

South Florida...
reviews: 16
4. Re: travel time from Mesa Verde NP to Montrose?

Here it is several years later, and I too am planning to spend 1/2 day at MVNP and drive for an overnight in Montrose. Just wondered what route you chose, and if the timing turned out just right. Remember where you stayed by chance and/or ate? thanks...leaving in a week or so.

Montrose, Colorado
reviews: 10
5. Re: travel time from Mesa Verde NP to Montrose?

what kind of place are you looking for to stay & eat? B&B? chain motel? what type of food? I can recommend some favorites if I know what you're looking for.

South Florida...
reviews: 16
6. Re: travel time from Mesa Verde NP to Montrose?

Thanks. This is a just an over night stop and already have lodging arranged, however I would appreciate any dining suggestions. We are small portion eaters and was considering the Bubble Lounge in Telluride...know anything about it? It is a tapas/oxygen bar and looks interesting on-line, but can find nothing on TA. Thanks alot for the help. Am traveling through that part of colorado the first week of October and am trying to find something warm to take...here in my home state...tee shirts and shorts! :)

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 112
7. Re: travel time from Mesa Verde NP to Montrose?

If you have a half day at Mesa Verde, you may be ready for lunch at Mancos or Dolores instead of Telluride.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 112
8. Re: travel time from Mesa Verde NP to Montrose?

I'd recommend driving the section from Telluride to Ridgway to Montrose well before dusk (both for views and also the possibility of deer along the road), so if you do stop for a meal mid afternoon in Telluride, don't linger too long!

9. Re: travel time from Mesa Verde NP to Montrose?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, March 12, 2010