We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denver to Montrose in winter

Which Montrose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver
Denver to Montrose in winter

I need to travel from Denver to Montrose over Christmas break but I have never driven this part of the country before. Can you tell me the best roads to take? I am afraid of drop offs and steep winding roads. I want a road that is well maintained in the winter.

Colorado Western...
Destination Expert
for Ouray, アウトドア・アドベンチャー旅行, Montrose
reviews: 7
1. Re: Denver to Montrose in winter

Your best bet for being on a highway that isn't "steep and winding" is usually an Interstate. Even though it's not the shortest distance, I'd recommend I-70 west to Clifton (just before reaching Grand Junction), then follow the signs ("to Montrose) to cut over to US 50 and drive south (although it'll say US 50 West) to Montrose.

I-70 doesn't have any "scary" terrain, will be one of the first highways to be plowed if there is snow, and has a higher speed limit than the more southerly US 285 to US 50 route.

However, it is wise to check road conditions before making your final decision. Look at conditions on Monarch Pass (the southern route) vs. Vail Pass (the I-70/northern route) and let that help you decide which route to take the day you are traveling.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
reviews: 38
2. Re: Denver to Montrose in winter

I agree, I70 to near Grand Junction would probably be the less "scary" option. There are 2 passes to go over, the Eisenhower Tunnel approach and Vail pass. Both are 4 lane highways, and maintained regularly. If the weather turns bad, there are places to stop along the way. Plus you can stop in Glenwood at the hot springs for a break if you need one!

Indianapolis...
reviews: 16
3. Re: Denver to Montrose in winter

Yep, ditto.

4. Re: Denver to Montrose in winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, September 15, 2009