We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elk Mountain Resort in Montrose?

Which Montrose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 148
Elk Mountain Resort in Montrose?

Could anyone add more about the Elk Mountain Resort? There are a few reviews here, but not all that many. I've searched other places on the internet, and there seems to be one person who has posted an almost (but not exactly) identical review in numerous places....almost like the resort is posting the review, rather than an individual.

I'm looking for a quiet setting, with good food, and very comfortable. Is the Elk Mountain Resort near Montrose OR is it away from town? How far is it to Black Canyon? Have you eaten there? Any other information would be appreciated!

Colorado Western...
Destination Expert
for Ouray, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Montrose
reviews: 7
1. Re: Elk Mountain Resort in Montrose?

I've never stayed there, but I have driven past the entrance to the resort while on my way to a hike. It is in a spectacular setting -- well away from any towns, with beautiful views. I'm assuming from the awards they've won and the general reputation they have around here (in Montrose) that this is an outstanding resort.

It is definitely well away from town, and you won't be able to see any city lights from the resort. It's about 1/2 hour or slightly longer drive to Black Canyon National Park.

Montrose, CO
reviews: 6
2. Re: Elk Mountain Resort in Montrose?

Elk Mountain Resort is 45 minutes from downtown Montrose - the drive to the resort is rough and actually I would recommend a 4 wheel drive vehicle, no pavement and a bad road - basicly it's not an easy drive up. The resort itself offers transportation to and from the airport and in and out of town, but at an additional cost and based on availability.

The restaurant is excellent, but it's only open for B, L, and D. Opens and closes for those time periods. The restaurant is also quite expensive but compares in price and quality to Cazwella's in downtown Montrose.

The Black Canyon is East of downtown Montrose about 30 minute drive. There are no vendors at the Black Canyon so you would need to eat in Montrose or pack a lunch. I can recommend a few places to eat in Montrose, that have really good food and are not too expensive.

If you would like more information, please feel free to contact me at bg.bcts@montrose.net

reviews: 148
3. Re: Elk Mountain Resort in Montrose?

Original poster here - if you are considering staying here, I'd encourage you to take a look at my very long review. We stayed here in July, and it was the worst hotel experience I've ever had.

4. Re: Elk Mountain Resort in Montrose?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 pm, September 06, 2009