We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

U of Colorado Springs

Which Manitou Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Walnut Creek, CA
reviews: 14
U of Colorado Springs

Is it closer to stay in Manitou Springs than Co Springs when visiting University of Colorado at Colorado Springs? We'll have a rental car and want to see Garden of the Gods and do the cog railroad trip. We were told to do this trip early in the day due to daily rainstorms - true in early June? Thanks.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
reviews: 38
1. Re: U of Colorado Springs

It should not really matter too much. Manitou Springs is physically further from the University, and there are a number of places to stay. Also in downtown Colo Springs are the larger hotels and north of town are a number of hotels along I25, near my favorite pizza place, Old Chicago.

Early June is not known for it's daily rainstorms, that usually starts up in July. BUT with the weird weather we have been having anything is possible. Always mornings are better chances for less extreme weather.

Loveland, Colorado
reviews: 28
2. Re: U of Colorado Springs

Manitou Springs is not closer. It is on the very very west side of town and UCCS is in central/northern Colo Springs.

The best place for you to stay and be close to the campus and Garden of the Gods would be any number of hotel off of Garden of the Gods Blvd. There are a lot of different places to stay, which would be in the most convenient location for you.

As for the weather...sometimes it rains a lot in June, sometimes not. If it does rain, it's almost always in the afternoon. Even if there is no actual rain, the threat of lightening strikes increases dramatically at high elevations. I would definitely recommend morning trip up the the summit so as to avoid possible storms.

Colorado Springs...
reviews: 1
3. Re: U of Colorado Springs

Manitou Springs has a lot of charm , is very close to Garden of the Gods, the Pikes peak train and has great places to eat (Cliff House!).

It is true that we get freqent thunderstorms in the aftrenoon, but they are usually very local. A few miles away from the T'storm, the sun may be shining.

As for Pike Peak,it's a good idea to get ther early, because - thunderstorm or not - the higher peaks often get more clouds in the PM, be it Pikes Peak or the Jungfraujoch in Switzerland.

As for getting from M. to the University of Colorado, it's less than half an hour, normally. But there is lots of construction in I-25 nort h of US 24 (where M. is located), so it may take you half an hour to get there.

Walnut Creek, CA
4. Re: U of Colorado Springs

Thank you all for your responses..... but I am confused! From my little online map it looks like Garden of the Gods is in/very near to Manitou Springs. SO,,, if we want to stay off of Garden of the Gods blvd (rebeka) how do we search for these hotels? Thanks. I also want to go to the Cliff Dwellings.

Woodland Park...
reviews: 12
5. Re: U of Colorado Springs

Hi Mebber. The hotels I would consider on Garden of the Gods Road are: Econolodge, La Quinta, or the Amerisuites. Also close in proximity to UCCS are the hotels located off of Woodmen Road including: Embassy Suites, Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn, Staybridge Suites, and Fairfield Inn.

Colorado Springs is relatively easy to get aaround, especially if you are staying near I-25, so I wouldn't worry about being in Manitou Springs vs. Colorado Springs. Colorado Springs has better lodging options so that would be my biggest concern. All of the above are at most a 15 minute drive to the attractions in Manitou Springs.

Also, just to make you aware, the Cliff Dwellings are not authentic. They were brought to the area and recreated during the boom of the automobile tousirm industry. I guess you could call it an original tourist trap. If you're not set on it I would suggest saving your money for other attractions and seeing the real deal in Mesa Verde National Park someday.

As for weather, we seem to finally be breaking our drought which means we're back into the pattern of afternoon thurnderstorms. You can generally count on a 1-2 hour rainstorm, and more or less depending on the day I would certainly suggest doing the cog early if possible - you're more likely to have better views. Plus, being on top of a 14'er is the last place you want to be if lightening kicks in.

Enjoy your trip!

Walnut Creek, CA
6. Re: U of Colorado Springs

Thank you for your help!

I have a Best Western credit to use.... how is the location of the Best Western Sky Way Inn and Suites on Manitou Ave? Is this a funky little town I should just drive to and stay in Co Springs? We'll be there 2 nights, then on to Gunnison to visit the college there (any suggestions about that leg of the trip would be welcome too! I have posted in that forum) thank you thank you thank you all for your insight. I couldn't do this trip without tripadvisor! and I didn't know the cliff dwellings weren't authentic - they don't disclose that on their website but it makes sense; I couldn't understand why they let tourists walk through them!

Woodland Park...
reviews: 12
7. Re: U of Colorado Springs

The location of the Best Western in Manitou is good - close to US 24 which will get you into Colorado Springs quickly. I can't vouch for the quality of the hotel though. It looks just fine from the outside.

The Mesa Verde cliff dwellings will actually let you walk through some of them as well - this is an awesome sidetrip - perhaps for a future trip to CO.

I think I responded in your other post about route to Gunnison and side activities. Hopefully it helped some!

Colorado Springs
8. Re: U of Colorado Springs

If I remember right, the Best Western is fairly new; it's a small hotel.

The map would make the Garden of the Gods park look like it's in Manitou. Actually, it's slightly north of Manitou.

Your best access to Garden of the Gods is from 30th street, which should show up on your map as a long street running north and south from Garden of the Gods blvd. (And you'll notice that Garden of the Gods blvd changes names to Austin Bluffs, which is where UCCS is located).

And yes, Manitou is a slightly funky tourist town that also has a lot of charm (and is showing hints of going upscale).

Check out the Adam's Mountain Cafe in the Spa building for some good food.

9. Re: U of Colorado Springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:27 am, September 30, 2009