We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

skiing colorado in dec 06. Where to go, Copper Mt or Breck

Which Keystone hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
brisbane
skiing colorado in dec 06. Where to go, Copper Mt or Breck

I am travelling to Denver on December 14 with my husband and 4 children aged 16,13,10 and 8 . The children have never skied ( never seen snow) and the adults have some basic skiing experience.

I am wondering which is the best resort to go to -Copper mountain, Breckenridge or Keystone.

We are hoping for a winter experience with good skiing plus other activities for kids, family orientated resort and reasonable price.

Any suggestions?

Copper Mountain
1. Re: skiing colorado in dec 06. Where to go, Copper Mt or Breck

Hey Gonny

I live at copper mountain and know it like the back of my hand, your 16 kid isnt going to have much fun especially if they surf or skate. I live on the slopes, go to a big place with lots of people and a hot tub. Thanks Gonny, from your expert ski man!

San Francisco...
reviews: 11
2. Re: skiing colorado in dec 06. Where to go, Copper Mt or Breck

I don't really understand that last post. I think your kids will have a great time. I highly recommend lessons, at least for the first day.

All three are family oriented resorts with lots to do besides skiing and boarding. Breckenridge is a real (charming) town, with all of the things that towns have. Copper is a resort, with a village with shops, restaurants and things to do and accommodations all around it. Keystone is more of a village with a choice of accommodations, activies and restaurants built around three areas; the Lakeside village (with a frozen lake/ice rink), River Run (shops, restaurants, activites) and Mountain House (primarily a winter focused village). You can also choose a condo outside of those three areas and take the free shuttle everywhere within the resort.

For price comparisons, check the respective websites of each and maybe look at www.vrbo.com to see what you can find rented by owner. Rentals, lessons and lift tickets will be comparable.

Colorado
reviews: 8
3. Re: skiing colorado in dec 06. Where to go, Copper Mt or Breck

Stay in breckenridge, you can get decent prices on private condos (vrbo.com is good site). Keystons and Copper are both only a 15-20 minute drive from breckenridge, so I'd recommend skiing at least 1 day at each of them.

Pullman, Washington
reviews: 10
4. Re: skiing colorado in dec 06. Where to go, Copper Mt or Breck

Gonny, you may already know this, but Breck, Keystone are ski resorts owned and operated by Vail Resorts (which also operates Vail, Beaver Creek and A-Basin). If you purchase multi-day lift tickets you have the opportunity to ski any of their various resorts. Copper is operated by Interwest, and has Winter Park ski operation tied in as a multi-day pass opportunity.

I think what the first responder to your post was getting at is the level of user for the terrain park at Copper, and access to the park. It is great fun for the seasoned boarder/skiier. Not for the novice.

Keystone and Breck have great novice terrain, and have a reputation for having very good ski schools. Of course, I am prejudiced, but Beaver Creek has the best reviews for it's ski school. Novice terrain over at Beaver Creek is at the Top of the MOUNTAIN! A very nice, and popular touch.

Colorado
reviews: 2
5. Re: skiing colorado in dec 06. Where to go, Copper Mt or Breck

As a former resident at Copper, I'm probably biased, but they're great! You don't have to drive anywhere, which is nice, and they've been rated the best ski school in the nation for quite a few years.

Breck and Keystone do have the convenience of being in whole towns however, giving you more options for dining, shopping, and non-skiing activities.

Wherever you stay, be sure to take an hour or two to check out the tubing hill at Copper, it is really fun!

Indianapolis...
reviews: 16
6. Re: skiing colorado in dec 06. Where to go, Copper Mt or Breck

Former Colorado resident of 15 years:

Beaver Creek

Copper

Keystone

Breck

in that order.

Indianapolis...
reviews: 16
7. Re: skiing colorado in dec 06. Where to go, Copper Mt or Breck

Former Colorado resident of 15 years:

Beaver Creek

Copper

Keystone

Breck

in that order.

8. Re: skiing colorado in dec 06. Where to go, Copper Mt or Breck

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, August 24, 2009