We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski school questions

Which Keystone hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
reviews: 7
Ski school questions

I've taken two group lessons at Keystone this season and have a few questions for someone who might know the nitty-gritty on how the ski school is run.

1. I understand it's hard to track what level everyone is going to commit to but does the ski school not have someone (or a few people) on-site for each level? My first lesson had a group of 16 and all the other groups had left and they were still trying to find someone else to teach our level so that the group could get split up. My second lesson there were only 3 people (including myself) at level 4 and there was no instructor so we were merged in the level 5 group. All 3 of us dropped out at lunch because we weren't level 5's and were over our heads. I was the only one to request to drop to a level 4 afternoon class cause the other two girls were toast and couldn't ski anymore. Worked out for me because I got a private afternoon lesson. Given I'm a solid level 4 skier at the moment is it possible my next lesson I'll either have to go level 3 or level 5 if there aren't enough level 4's. Is this a normal situation? (Note I was there early January - slow season).

2. Can you try to request a specific ski instructor for a group lesson? Both instructors I had made it sound like you could try although you might not be successful but I don't understand how that would work. Do the instructors draw straws before the start of lessons to see who will get to work and the rest are out of luck that day? Therefore requesting an instructor helps the instructor get to work? I could understand requesting an instructor for a private lesson but for a group lesson seems a little different. I really learned a lot from the instructor I had a private with but I don't have the resources to pay for a private so it'd be nice to do a group lesson with that instructor.

Anyway I'm coming back up in a week and can't wait!

2 replies to this topic
Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 51
1. Re: Ski school questions

First you need to go to ski school and tell of that experience. They should give you a lesson gratis!

If you cannot get the instructor that you had before, Try for Berta Ober or Cathy Spierling or Joey Kraft. All are fantastic.

Edited: 10:24 am, February 19, 2014
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 53
2. Re: Ski school questions

I agree that you should definitely discuss your experience with the ski school or guest relations, who really knows how to make guests happy. No one should be put down or up a level.

Reply to: Ski school questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted