We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best runs

Which Keystone hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 56
Best runs

Going to Keystone in a few weeks - my husband and I are intermediate skiers and our friends are beginners. I've skied Breck, but we generally have only skied in the Midwest (though I found the Midwest to be more challenging because of the crappy snow and ice). Does anyone have recommendations for greens and blues that will have less traffic? Also, any blacks that you would consider easy blacks that will be groomed and wider?

My second question is access to the North Peak. I'm looking at the trail map and it looks like Mozart is the only blue down to the North Peak gondolas, but I've also read that Mozart is over crowded and terrible. What are our alternatives? Is Diamond Back actually easier than Mozart? If we try to ski North Peak, is there a chance we'd get stuck in a place where it'd be really hard to get down, given that we're not used to skiing on real mountains?

Thanks!

12 replies to this topic
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 53
1. Re: Best runs

We like Mozart in the morning, usually make it our first run (if you take the Ruby chair up you can ski it again). If you want to get to North Peak without skiing, you can take the gondola.

Diamondback and Starfire are blacks that are always groomed, but they do have steep spots. I certainly wouldn't take green skiers on either run.

In the Outback, Porcupine and Elk Run are always groomed--they're blue.

We take an early and a late break so we're skiing during normal lunch hours--that can help temper the crowds.

Aspen, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Aspen
2. Re: Best runs

^^agree and yes keep your beginner friends on the front side. Better yet put them in ski school.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 54
3. Re: Best runs

I only take Mozart over first thing in the AM. Most often I take the gondola over to North Peak if it is busy. If the snow is good then Diamond Back. it is groomed but faces the sun so it gets icy. I'd not take anyone down it that was not an advanced skier.

Take the gondola over, relax and take in the views. Anticipation and Prospector are the easier of the blue runs.

Have fun! I think you will find the groomers at Keystone fun, no worries! Try Spring Dipper on the front as your warm up run.

Edited: 10:16 am, February 19, 2014
Michigan
reviews: 6
4. Re: Best runs

Just a heads up from another intermediate skier from the Midwest - we just returned from Keystone/Breckenridge on Wednesday. I found the blues at Keystone to be a lot more difficult than the blue runs at Breck. I was able to ski both, but at Breck I had more fun because I didn't have to work as hard. Keystone has some good blue runs, but I found them steeper so I was working much more than just skiing. I didn't see any blue runs at Keystone that beginners would be comfortable on. I also recommend lessons for them.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
5. Re: Best runs

I'd agree with that, though I think of Breck's blues as flat rather than Keystone's as steep. LOL

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 56
6. Re: Best runs

Even the blues on the front of the mountain like Spring Dipper and Paymaster? I am intermediate, have skied blacks at Breck many years ago (not super fun, might I add) and don't really want to be skiing only greens at Keystone. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm actually OK with steepness, I am just less comfortable around a lot of other people.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
7. Re: Best runs

You should be fine. The front of the mountain sees far fewer people on the blues than the blues on North Peak and the Outback.

Lots of times I have the front of the mountain to myself. I'd stay away from the River Run Run if you can. It gets really busy with all levels of skiers. I really dislike that run. If you are skiing out of the River Run base you can download on the gondola at the lower stop or take Ina's Way back. If you take Ina's Way be sure to use cautions when crossing schoolmarm. Lots of newbies not looking as they cross.

Have fun!!!

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
8. Re: Best runs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zurl0sHKpbg

video of spring dipper, warning music....

kansas city
reviews: 57
9. Re: Best runs

The front side blues aren't that steep - wild irishman has a couple tricky spots.. paymaster is the easiest, and frenchman is just plain awesome.

couple fridays ago (14th) the snow was so good that mozart was fine all day long.... something I had rarely seen.

Spring dipper on the far side is the least steep....

As far as groomed blacks - beger is a short groomed black (could really be blue tbh). Diamond back was pretty icy.

Denver, CO
reviews: 40
10. Re: Best runs

This is my favorite type of question. The key is to get an early start. As the prior posters have said, do Mozart first accessed from the Gondola or the Summit Chair. It is great in the morning. Then take the Santiago Chair and do Prospector next. Everyone else will do Last Alamo or head to the North Peak since they are right there, Just ski towards the Outpost Lodge and access Prospector there. You may want to do Prospector a couple times since you may still have groomed corduroy for a couple runs. Then do Last Alamo. If you are ready for a black, do Starfire. It used to be a blue on the older trail maps but it is just steep enough to be a black. The Santiago Chair usually has the least crowds. Then when the sun warms up do Anticipation or Spillway to the Outback and do Elk Run and Porcupine which are the two groomed blues back there.

It should be after lunch now so head back to the front as the crowds may have dissipated a little and try Frenchman (my favorite front blue) and Jackwhacker. If you are getting tired try Paymaster or Spring Dipper (the easier front blues). At the end of the day, avoid River Run, it has so much traffic it may even have small moguls and can get icy. I am an advanced skier and after a long day I usually finish on Ina's Way to the very bottom of River Run.

Edited: 11:14 pm, February 28, 2014
Reply to: Best runs
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted