We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from DEN to Keystone

Which Keystone hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Lauderdale...
Driving from DEN to Keystone

Hello TAs! I'm heading up to Keystone next Friday and needed some advice. I'll be driving from DEN to Keystone in my rental and I've never driven in cold weather conditions. Is there anything I should ensure about my rental car? What are the roads like? Should I expect to need tire chains or anything whacky like that?

Thanks!

2 replies to this topic
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 202
1. Re: Driving from DEN to Keystone

Welcome to the forum. If you're renting from a major (Hertz, Avis, etc.), odds are you'll get a car that's reasonably equipped with all weather tires, front wheel drive. Upgrade to a 4WD if you wish. If you're on simple snow covered roadway or ice, drive slowly and cautiously. Also know that higher elevation means colder temps and more snow/ice. So as you drive up to the Eisenhower Tunnel, know it may be slicker as you gain elevation. Don't worry about tire chains. Car rental companies don't allow them. And if you need them, you shouldn't be driving.

If it is dumping and you're uncomfortable, get a place to stay or take Colorado Mountain Express.

Have fun.

kansas city
reviews: 55
2. Re: Driving from DEN to Keystone

We hit a section of ice just before the tunnel ... I couldn't believe the number of people who kept over gunning the engine.... on ice...if you are moving / rolling, then just let it be and ease into the gas - if at all.

We were bumper to bumper barely moving and guys were sliding all over because they kept gassing it... when they were rolling along just fine.

Reply to: Driving from DEN to Keystone
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted