We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keystone, CO - April 4-9, 2014 - weather??

Which Keystone hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, GA
reviews: 3
Keystone, CO - April 4-9, 2014 - weather??

Hi!

We're taking our 3 kids skiing for the first time over their spring break, and from what I've read the resorts should be open through the 3rd week of April. However, I'm also reading not all lifts may be open....does this mean there could just be slush at the bottom of the mountain??

I'm trying to get an idea of the weather, how to pack for April weather, etc. We plan to stay at The Springs hotel right at the base of the tram area for River Run. But our main reason was so our kids could enjoy the snow right there.....but sounds like there may not be any snow at all unless further up the mountain!?

3 replies to this topic
Keystone, Colorado
reviews: 54
1. Re: Keystone, CO - April 4-9, 2014 - weather??

April can have the best snowfall ever or it could be spring skiing with warmer weather. Either way, the River Run base will be open, so your choice of staying at the Springs Lodge is a good one. Last year we received the best snow all season in April and May. This year, we've had fabulous snowfall all winter long, which could continue into April.....it is now really known.

As far as packing, pack in layers in case the weather is warm or in case it is winter conditions.

Sorry for the wishy washy reply, the weather question has unpredictable answers all year long in the mountains.

Atlanta, GA
reviews: 3
2. Re: Keystone, CO - April 4-9, 2014 - weather??

Thank you so much Patty35!

It's a bit confusing to read that some of the best snow occurs in spring, yet many of the resort activities stop March 31! I guess due to lack of tourists? My kids are going to be so disappointed that the Snowfort area at Keystone will be closed down. And ice skating is up in the air as well. Hopefully tubing will still be going on. I even had trouble finding an airport with flights that first week of April! Only Denver & CO Springs had flights; all others don't seem to even run (for Delta - we are using skymiles) past March!

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 50
3. Re: Keystone, CO - April 4-9, 2014 - weather??

The mountain will be open from top to bottom, no worries. Stuff closes as most tourist go away and us locals have the great ski conditions to ourselves. You are going to have a blast! Ice skating probably not, it usually is too warm though the smaller rink could stay open. Tubing should be. Overall I think it is a GREAT time to come!

Reply to: Keystone, CO - April 4-9, 2014 - weather??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted