We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keystone vs. Copper vs. Beaver Creek?

Which Keystone hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
reviews: 85
Keystone vs. Copper vs. Beaver Creek?

Hi All, we've got 3 kids ages 13,7 and 5. We are from Florida, so mostly beginner skiers. We've gone to Copper the last 3 years and found it to be kid friendly and good ski instructors/ski school. We have always stayed somewhere very close to a lift so we didn't have to drag our skis far or have to get on a shuttle dragging our skis and our kids. This year we are entertaining a change. Beaver Creek, Keystone? Any other suggestions? We are looking for an easy kid friendly place w good ski school. We already bought our tickets to Denver for 5 days mid March.

We checked out Breck last year for a day trip and didn't like it. It was extremely busy and seemed chaotic. So that one is out.

If we can't find a good place that we'd like to experiment with, we'll just do Copper again, but we'd really like a change!

Thanks!

C

4 replies to this topic
Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
reviews: 21
1. Re: Keystone vs. Copper vs. Beaver Creek?

You will be coming during the height of spring break so will be busy.

Copper is usually my recommendation for Summit County resorts as a lot of people have a season pass that allows them to ski Breck, Keystone, Vail...so these tend to get more crowded.

Beaver Creek- not sure if you are going to find the ski in/out or short walk options or if you do, $$$$$$$$

Of the 3 you mentioned, I would go back to Copper for your time period.

If I was considering another one, I might look at Steamboat but that does add about 2 hours of driving...but also, keeps you away from some of the bigger crowds as the further you are away from Denver/Front Range, amount of skiers starts to thin out.

Matt

Cooper City, Florida
2. Re: Keystone vs. Copper vs. Beaver Creek?

C.M.

Been to all 3 mountains. Going back to Keystone this spring break (March) with the whole family.

Beaver is very expensive. Great moutain, ski school etc but I hate spending the crazy money they ask for. Copper is nice but I think Keystone is a hidden gem. I was there last March with my son (he is now almost 9). It was spring break but the lines, if any, were short. The mountain is as big as Breck and it was not too busy. There are enough green and blues to make anyone happy and plenty of black diamonds if you need them (I ride a few just to prove to myself I can still do it...). My son was in the snowboard school for 2 days and had a great time. Instructors were great and it was all well organized. We stayed at the Moutain House village but we are staying at the River Run village this time as Mountain House was DEAD after 4 pm. Good food and atmosphere at the River Run village. If you are renting a car, you can also eat in Dillon as they have a few nice places there.

Hope this helps!

Modi

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 51
3. Re: Keystone vs. Copper vs. Beaver Creek?

Beaver Creek is great but as mentioned very $$$$$. I like Keystone a lot. It is very family friendly, lots of kid activities, fireworks, free cookies, that sort of thing.

Me I much prefer to ski out of the Mountain House base. Much less busy, easy to ski home. I find River Run to be chaotic in the day time. I think you'd find the ski schoolthere less stressful too. Agree that there is not that much happening at night but the last lift bar is super fun if the swing crew is playing. Plus it is a short walk to River Run or you can take the shuttle over.

Denver, CO
reviews: 40
4. Re: Keystone vs. Copper vs. Beaver Creek?

I will second Matteiler's recommendation of Steamboat. Yes it is a 3 hour drive from Denver but that is only two more hours than you would have driven. Steamboat has plenty of lodging that is ski in and ski out or walkable to the base area. The town is real and fun and the mountain is incredible. Crowds are less of an issue here.

If you can afford it, Beaver Creek is the best to avoid crowds which can be crazy at Spring Break. I owned a condo in Keystone for many years but we would ski Beaver Creek during Spring Break. Breckenridge will have the most crowds. Keystone and Copper will both be crowded too.

Copper has a more happening village than Keystone and quite frankly a better mountain too.

Finally, Snowmass is also a great place to ski but a little further drive (3 1/2 hours from Denver). Most lodging is also ski in and ski out. The mountain is huge like Steamboat and crowds are usually not an issue there. You are just minutes from Aspen which is a great town and not as snooty as people say. You also can ski Buttermilk at Aspen if you are looking for some great beginner terrain and no crowds.

Reply to: Keystone vs. Copper vs. Beaver Creek?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted