We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Ski Resort with Kids - Keystone?

Which Keystone hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Des Moines, Iowa
Best Ski Resort with Kids - Keystone?

We are travelling to CO March 16-21 for a family ski trip over spring break. We realize it will be a busy time, but willing to take that chance as this would be the only time we could get out there. I have narrowed it down to Keystone for the kids ski free package (trying to make it more affordable). We have two girls, age 5 and 12 and this will be thier first time skiing. My husband and I did Winter Park last year for the first time, and absolutely loved it!

Can you help me out with a couple of questions?

1) Is Keystone a good resort for the kids or what others should I be considering? They will both be taking lessons as well. Not sure how much my 5 year old will want to ski, so looking for other kid friendly activities offered at the resort.

2) Where is the best lodging (ski in and out preferrably) - would like to stay under $200/night.

3) If we did the 3 or more day Keystone lift tickets it looks like we could use one of the days at Vail, Brekenridge, or Beaver Creek. Which one would be best?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

4 replies to this topic
Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
reviews: 20
1. Re: Best Ski Resort with Kids - Keystone?

As for lodging, if you want ski in/out then you really only have 2 location options.

1) River Run- although not technically ski in/out but a short walk. There are 2 places that are ski in/out but unfortunately the cost is $$$$. In River Run, there are plenty of options

Arapahoe Lodge

Black Bear

Jack Pine

Dakota- has a swimming pool. Everyone that I mentioned has access to this pool but the pool is at Dakota

SilverMill

There are more but this will get you started. Basically, if you are in River Run, you are a 45 second-3 minute walk depending on which property you choose.

Other option is Slopeside. Slopeside is over in the Mtn. House area.

River Run has more options après ski whereas you would have to walk over from Slopeside to River Run for these items.

If your budget is not working out as this is a high $$$ time you are coming, then Keystone has a free shuttle running around and you can then start looking at lodging options close to the free shuttle.

To get a ballpark idea of prices, try www.summitcove.com or Keystone resort (google for www address). These are the 2 largest condo rental management properties in Keystone. You can also try directly thru owners on sites such as www.vrbo.com, www.homeaway.com & www.flipkey.com

Good Luck.

Matt

Des Moines, Iowa
2. Re: Best Ski Resort with Kids - Keystone?

Very helpful information Matt. Thank you very much!!!

Washington, DC
3. Re: Best Ski Resort with Kids - Keystone?

Keystone, Breck, and Copper Mountain are all great for kids.

For lodging, I usually use vrbo.com and negotiate with the owner. At Keystone, Silvermill is very convenient to the gondola and usually pretty reasonable. The Pines is farther away, but on the bus line (which runs pretty frequently).

Genesee, Colorado
reviews: 12
4. Re: Best Ski Resort with Kids - Keystone?

First a couple of things. The kids ski free is great if your kids won't be taking ski lessons. Since they are beginners I am guessing they will be. the other is that you do not need a ticket for the learning area at Mountain House base. The lift ticket that you buy with a lesson is something like 10.00 so not a huge savings. Be sure to take that in consideration if you do book with Keystone, plus they add a resort charge to the stay too. Almost a wash. We do not stay in River Run for numerous reasons. I have followed the advice here on the Colorado Forums and stay at Mountain House. We've had good luck finding condos on VRBO. This in the one we used last when we needed more room

http://www.vrbo.com/10037 It was good for us. We have stayed in a 2 bedroom in the same complex but I don't see that one listed. My husband booked it, I am not sure how?

If that is to big there are one bedrooms on VRBO too. We considered Slopeside Condos too but always needed more space.

Keystone is very family friendly. My kids love the tubing and the fireworks. It is now "our" mountain!

Edited: 6:25 pm, January 15, 2014
Reply to: Best Ski Resort with Kids - Keystone?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted