We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OK, so what's the problem with the River Run ski run?

Which Keystone hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
Level Contributor
565 posts
10 reviews
OK, so what's the problem with the River Run ski run?

As I've scanned the Keystone forum since we decided to go there in Feb, I've noticed a pretty consistent message when the River Run ski run is mentioned. Basically, the advice is - Stay Away!! We're renting a ski in/ski out at Lone Eagle, so I assume we'll have no choice but to ski that run just to get back to the condo. So, just so we know what we're dealing with, what's the story about this dreaded run?

Colorado
Level Contributor
400 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: OK, so what's the problem with the River Run ski run?

The last part of the run, from the on mountain Gondola station to the bottom is fairly steep and has very heavy traffic as it's the most obvious way down, so it gets skied off pretty quickly on busy days. It's also not a terribly wide run (relatively).

Overall it's just generally not a "fun" spot to ski because there are high # of people going through the area as it's the route probably ~75% of people coming down to RR ski.

I usually take the cat track route (ina's way I think), which dumps you out almost right at the bottom, If you are staying at Lone Eagle, highly recommend using this route, as it dumps you right out by the patio/pool.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
2. Re: OK, so what's the problem with the River Run ski run?

At the end of day you'll find all levels of ability coming home -- some skiers going too fast and those really new beginners traversing the entire run. Coupled with the crowds it gets icy --with lots of help from snowboarders learning the craft-- thus why it is "dreaded. If I remember correctly the cutoff Ina's Way will help you avoid the area if you wish. Before noon runs are are typically ok.

Michigan
Level Contributor
565 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: OK, so what's the problem with the River Run ski run?

Got it. Good information and good advice. Thanks a lot.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,540 posts
54 reviews
4. Re: OK, so what's the problem with the River Run ski run?

Texranger and Laughing Lab are exactly right. I take Ina's Way. You will need to pay attention to the map. Plus remember to look up the slope as you cross Schoolmarm, lots of beginners not paying attention. The other option is to take the gondola down. You can pick it up on the lower stop.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
890 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: OK, so what's the problem with the River Run ski run?

We rent condos in River Run a couple times a season. Here right now as a matter of fact. (Great snow this weekend!!) We're just intermediate skiers (no black runs, no bumps, nothing crazy) and we have no problems or concerns with staying here or skiing in/out of the area. We love it! As a matter we prefer this location over almost all other Vail Resort "ski-in/ski-out" areas. In my opinion it rivals the Lion's Head area at Vail. Both have quick easy access to gondolas and express lifts. All kinds of shops, restaurants, nightlife and services just a few steps away.

Michigan
Level Contributor
565 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: OK, so what's the problem with the River Run ski run?

Thanks qDog. This will be our first time skiing in Colorado and it sounds like our location choice will work out great. Thanks again for reaffirming that.

7. Re: OK, so what's the problem with the River Run ski run?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 14, 2015