We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Midwest 'moderate' skiers - how long of a lesson?

Which Keystone hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
reviews: 6
Midwest 'moderate' skiers - how long of a lesson?

We'll be there in February and we plan on taking a lesson the first day we ski. (2 adults in our 40s and 2 fifteen year olds.) We ski everything from greens to blacks in Michigan, but we understand there are numerous differences between that snow and Colorado skiing. We really want the lesson just to gain an understanding of the differences so we can have the most fun skiing. How long of a lesson do you think we'll need? 2 hours? Half day? Your insight is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

13 replies to this topic
Michigan
reviews: 6
11. Re: Midwest 'moderate' skiers - how long of a lesson?

Great discussion on all points. We'll definitely be taking lessons, and we'll be sure to lay out exactly what we want to gain before deciding which one to take. I will never be a good enough skier where I won't have a need to improve. Since this will be our first time 'out west', I'm just looking forward to the lesson as a way to get rid of the intimidation factor that will inevitably come with a first time in Colorado. Thanks again for all the contributions.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 344
12. Re: Midwest 'moderate' skiers - how long of a lesson?

When I am new to a ski area I book a half day "lesson" that is more like a half day guided tour. I ask the instructor to show me as much of the mountain as he can in that time and his/her favorite "hidden" areas. Every big resort I've been in has runs that are underutilized for what ever reason.

I also take a lesson or two (depending on how the first one goes) to sharpen skills, get reminders on technique and learn if there are new techniques. In the 50 or so years I have been skiing, techniques have evolved significantly, especially as equipment has evolved as well.

I tend to hang out on North Peak mostly as it seems forgotten sometimes, but I warm up my old knees on Wild Irishman a couple of times before heading over there.

Be sure to visit Der Fondue Chessel. I am also a big fan of Keystone Ranch and for a great, one time blow out experience, The Alpenglow Stube.

kansas city
reviews: 55
13. Re: Midwest 'moderate' skiers - how long of a lesson?

Nothing wrong with taking lessons ever - but based on what you have described, I wouldn't think it to be a necessity.

Reply to: Midwest 'moderate' skiers - how long of a lesson?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted