We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Midwest 'moderate' skiers - how long of a lesson?

Which Keystone hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
reviews: 6
Midwest 'moderate' skiers - how long of a lesson?

We'll be there in February and we plan on taking a lesson the first day we ski. (2 adults in our 40s and 2 fifteen year olds.) We ski everything from greens to blacks in Michigan, but we understand there are numerous differences between that snow and Colorado skiing. We really want the lesson just to gain an understanding of the differences so we can have the most fun skiing. How long of a lesson do you think we'll need? 2 hours? Half day? Your insight is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

13 replies to this topic
Plantation Florida
reviews: 100
1. Re: Midwest 'moderate' skiers - how long of a lesson?

Group lesson of 2 hours will be enough. Differences? The snow is soft powder that is forgiving.

Delavan, Illinois
reviews: 35
2. Re: Midwest 'moderate' skiers - how long of a lesson?

I too am a Midwest skier. You'll find that the snow is drier, and therefore lighter. Compared to what we typically get in the Midwest, it is easy to ski in. Though, if there is a fresh dump, unless you are used to skiing in lots of powder that will take an adjustment.

You might check to see if they offer a tour of the mountain experience. That can give you someone to go with you and show you the best trails that day. They also can give you pointers if you are finding the conditions a bit of a challenge. But on the whole they just help you to find the best runs to enjoy your day based on the existing conditions and your ski level. And it only costs a few more dollars than a regular lift ticket. The tour of the mountain isn't offered everywhere (and I don't remember if it is at Keystone or not), but it is many places even where it is not advertised, so ask.

Leon, Ks
reviews: 1
3. Re: Midwest 'moderate' skiers - how long of a lesson?

Check out this link for the Keystone Ski and Ride School. For the money a full days lesson is your best bet.

keystoneresort.com/ski-and-snowboard/…

Michigan
reviews: 6
4. Re: Midwest 'moderate' skiers - how long of a lesson?

Thanks for the information. I definitely will need to contact Keystone and find out a bit more about what they have to offer. We'd prefer to not have lessons any more than a couple hours to maybe a half day. That would allow us freedom to go where we please afterward. It would, though, be a big help to get 'best run' recommendations, and I'm sure our instructor will be able to help with that.

Thanks again.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
reviews: 88
5. Re: Midwest 'moderate' skiers - how long of a lesson?

I'm always a big fan of the half-day lesson followed by lunch and then skiing on your own in the afternoon. One day like that is great. 2-3 days of lessons and you'll really start to see major improvements.

texas
reviews: 2
6. Re: Midwest 'moderate' skiers - how long of a lesson?

I would wing it with no lesson. The trails are marked well and most are wide and easy to figure out. if take lesson though, I would take a private family lesson rather than being with 25 other people.

Edited: 1:25 pm, December 21, 2013
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
reviews: 88
7. Re: Midwest 'moderate' skiers - how long of a lesson?

"I would take a private family lesson rather than being with 25 other people."

I have never, ever in my entire life seen a ski lesson where there is 25 people with a single instructor. While everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I have found through extensive experience that those people who take even a single lesson on their yearly ski trip are far better off than those that don't. While there's certainly the crowd that's content to gnash their shins snowplowing down the mountain each year, even people who ski 50-100 days a year take at least one lesson or clinic each season to tune their skills or work toward some specific goal.

Edited: 8:18 pm, December 21, 2013
Leon, Ks
reviews: 1
8. Re: Midwest 'moderate' skiers - how long of a lesson?

Well said.

Delavan, Illinois
reviews: 35
9. Re: Midwest 'moderate' skiers - how long of a lesson?

to dcj: I was at my local skill hill were I am an instructor yesterday. We had bad weather and no one came through seeking a lesson. So, what did we instructors do? We went out and gave lessons to one another. There is always something to work on, and like was said above, just a half-day of lessons can really make a big difference in your enjoyment of the rest of your week.

to dldkag: I doubt if you "need" a lesson based on what you originally posted about your skiing level in Michigan. But I really do think you might ENJOY one. Plus, it is a great way to knock the rust off. If Keystone doesn't offer the tour of the mountain option, take an upper level lesson of some sort. Upper level lessons are always tuned to the skier's goals and interests anyway. I don't think you'll regret it.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 53
10. Re: Midwest 'moderate' skiers - how long of a lesson?

For the couple of days before you go, download the grooming report. We ski ungroomed as well as groomed, but I like to know what I'm getting into, and you may be more comfortable starting on the groomed.

The first day, I'd recommend the free mountain tour to learn the mountain.

Watch the weather report and take your lesson on a day when there's been the most fresh snow. As a Midwestern skier whose spent lots of time skiing in Colorado, I find powder lessons the most helpful because that's something we can't learn to ski in the Midwest.

Reply to: Midwest 'moderate' skiers - how long of a lesson?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted