We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time skiing out west - bring boots and rent the rest?

Which Keystone hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
reviews: 6
First time skiing out west - bring boots and rent the rest?

My wife and I, son and nephew will be coming to Keystone in February and we're trying to do our homework. Regarding equipment, I thought that I'd heard that we should bring our boots out and then get our rental skis fitted to our own boots. Is this what most/many people do? What other options are there? Also, would you recommend we rent through the resort to rent or are the better options? Thanks for any guidance.

Dave

9 replies to this topic
Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 54
1. Re: First time skiing out west - bring boots and rent the rest?

Sounds like a good plan to me. At Keystone I think Gorsuch has the best gear. Just walk past all the 2000K+ ski parkas and you are good! If not Gorsuch then Mountain View Sports. I'd not rent through Keystone, their stuff gets pretty beat up.

Colorado
reviews: 8
2. Re: First time skiing out west - bring boots and rent the rest?

I'm a big fan of buying boots and renting skis. If you have a car, also check out Virgin Island Ski down in Silverthorne, they have pretty solid rates and good equipment. They will probably come in a bit cheaper on rates vs places in keystone, downside is you have a little farther drive for pickup/dropoff and/or if you want to swap gear.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 205
3. Re: First time skiing out west - bring boots and rent the rest?

For sure best way to go. Think, too, about renting at the resort so you can easily changeup skis if conditions change or you want to try something new and cool.

Have fun.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 53
4. Re: First time skiing out west - bring boots and rent the rest?

We've always brought all of our own equipment. Since we ski 25+ days a year, renting gets too costly. I have a hard foot to fit, and my boots have had significant amounts of customizing, so I could never rent boots.

Delavan, Illinois
reviews: 35
5. Re: First time skiing out west - bring boots and rent the rest?

The boot is definitely more important than the ski. So, if you have your own equipment, definitely bring the boot. If you are driving, I would bring your skis as well. And most people I know also take them when they fly, just get a ski bag for packing them in. But, if you want to avoid the hassle, you've got good recommendations where to rent your skis.

6. Re: First time skiing out west - bring boots and rent the rest?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 pm, February 14, 2014

Little Rock
reviews: 24
7. Re: First time skiing out west - bring boots and rent the rest?

coloradoskiauthority.com/travel/…

Full disclosure ... I have not thoroughly read the entire article but it looked interesting, sooooo have at it. :)

I agree that having your own boots can be key especially if they are newer and have been customized (foot beds, etc.)

NJ
reviews: 23
8. Re: First time skiing out west - bring boots and rent the rest?

Have my own boots and have been renting skis for the last few years.....IMHO boots are very important and if you can, get your own and get them custom fitted, and bring them where you want to ski

Denver, Colorado
9. Re: First time skiing out west - bring boots and rent the rest?

I agree fully with pal0242. If you can only spend in one place, spend on boots. They will give you the most comfort and control. Two places I would recommend in Colorado are:

Jennie Thoren: http://www.jeanniethoren.com/

and Apex: http://apexskiboots.com/

Cheers.

Reply to: First time skiing out west - bring boots and rent the rest?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted