We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Skiiers

Which Keystone hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
PA
reviews: 2
First Time Skiiers

Myself and three other friends are looking to travel into Denver for the first time. We will be renting a car once we land in Denver to drive to our destination. We are looking to ski, with that being said we are all beginners, Ive skied(not much and the rest have never skied)

What are some suggestion in regards to locations to find a good ski resort? I've heard Breckenridge, Vail or Keystone? DO they ever have any or has anyone purchased groupons for skiing before?

Along with skiing we are looking to sight see and some nice restaurants and nightlife if possible(though not required)

21 replies to this topic
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 205
1. Re: First Time Skiiers

Any of the three will work just fine for you. All are part of the same company and share tickets. Of the three destinations, Breckenridge is the only real "town," with great mining heritage going back to the 19th century. Fun place. Vail is a ski resort town, higher end, very nice but also your furthest drive. Keystone is smaller, resort only with Silverthorne, Dillon and Frisco nearby. Least interesting of the three, in my opinion.

Each of the three has variety of terrain. Of the three, Vail is my personal favorite. All in all, though, I think you'll find more to do in Breck.

Have fun. What time of year?

PA
2. Re: First Time Skiiers

November 2013, have you ever skied in Loveland as well?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 205
3. Re: First Time Skiiers

Loveland is a nice day area for experienced skiers. But I wouldn't make it a target as a beginning destination skier. There's no infrastructure there, just a ski area.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 50
4. Re: First Time Skiiers

trillville06 I hope you are able to keep up with your different postings! Based on what I have gathered from the other postings.

You are on a limited budget

New to Skiing

Want other activities

Coming in early Season

May only ski one day

I know it can be difficult choosing, you have gotten many differing vews. Happens all the time. The take away should be there are many great places to ski. No one place is "The Best” Some are better than others based on the very things you have mentioned.

I am going to agree with the suggestions of Loveland. It is true that there is no lodging right there but it is a great mountain for a first timer or folks looking to get their ski legs under them before moving to a "bigger" more costly resort. The beginner area is away from the more advanced runs. The downside to me is that the learning area is pretty much right by the interstate, not that big a deal but I like views. The big pluses are Loveland will offer super cheap 4 packs lifts tickets that are transferable. Meaning 4 people can use the passes on one day, the only ski area I know of that allows that. Plus they offer a one-day complete package, lifts, lessons, and ski clothing. Perfect for those only doing one day.

The closest lodging to Loveland is Dillon, Silverthorne via 1-70 and Keystone going over Loveland Pass, amazing views!

I am a fan of Keystone, I ski at least 50 days a year and pretty much 40 of those are at Keystone, then Vail or BC. If you want to have the resort experience I’d stay at Keystone. Here is advice on Saving Money at Keystone. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g33501-c105353/Keysto…

Plus Keystone has all sorts of other activities like tubing, again the tubing is at the top. Really fun to go at night!. Skating on the largest maintained outdoor rink in North America. The one at the lake not the little one at River Run. Snow shoeing, wine tastings, just off the top of my head. More than enough nightlife for me, the Snake is fun for live music and dancing.

Whatever you choose you will have fun. Be aware though learning to ski can be life changing!

Edited: 10:29 am, August 22, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
5. Re: First Time Skiiers

One thing to know is that you are coming in off season. You could make the air portion of your trip now and wait a bit to see who is offering deals as it get closer to November. Unless it starts dumping in November

( fingers crossed ) you won't have troubles making lodging plans. We try and post deals, if they are appropriate to the topic, as we see them so keep an eye on your postings.

PA
6. Re: First Time Skiiers

So keystone is not near loveland, CO?

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
7. Re: First Time Skiiers

No it is very close. Going over Loveland Pass Keystone has the nearest lodging. Also the closest lodging to Arapahoe Basin.

Maui
reviews: 1
8. Re: First Time Skiiers

For a beginner - I would recommend Breck - it has a lot of gentle wide open runs that you can get some variety as you learn. Peak 9 is ideal - and the Blue runs there would be Green runs at Vail. Peak 7 is nice as you gain strength - a lot quieter - more trees - less groomed but still not too hard.

Vail is fantastic and gigantic - but it is a more costly place and as a beginner it's hard to gain it's value in the back bowls which are Blue/Black runs and the highlight of the mountain.

Keystone is not small - it just looks that way in the front - but they have a large area in the back. Problem with Keystone is the late afternoon shade on the steeper slopes doen to the base. Hell of a lot of fun in watching beginners wipe out on the icy face and take out people as they slide down. But the back is a blast - again you'd have to be a better skier there to take advantage.

9. Re: First Time Skiiers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 am, August 25, 2013

Colorado
reviews: 3
10. Re: First Time Skiiers

Just wanted to clarify something for trillville06. Loveland, CO and Loveland Ski Area are two entirely different places, and are not near each other at all. The city of Loveland is located about 50 miles north of Denver on completely flat terrain. Loveland Ski Area is about 60 miles west of Denver in the mountains, right at the Continental Divide.

Loveland Ski Area is fairly close to Keystone. Keystone, Silverthorne, or Dillon would all have good lodging choices if you decide to ski Loveland. Do NOT book something in Loveland, CO if you plan to ski. You would be a couple of hours away from the slopes.

Reply to: First Time Skiiers
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted