We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Ski Trip - Is Keystone Big Enough?

Which Keystone hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, Tennessee
reviews: 5
New Years Ski Trip - Is Keystone Big Enough?

Hi!

I have a group of 6 adults that want to go skiing over New Years. The pricing in Keystone seems a lot better than other resorts for a 3 bedroom condo near the slopes, but my question is this....Having been to Steamboat and Breck several times, is there enough in Keystone to keep us entertained for a 5 night/4 day skiing trip over New Years? I have never been there, but just want to make sure there is enough skiing to not get bored and some good restaurants / bars / apres ski options for us to have a great trip!

Please give me your opinions as I have never been but have heard great things. Thanks!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 205
1. Re: New Years Ski Trip - Is Keystone Big Enough?

There's a fair amount of skiing but in my opinion the overall atmosphere is not as interesting as Steamboat or Breck. But for five days you should be fine. You'll be able to use your ticket at Breck, Vail or Beaver Creek so might consider that for a day.

I actually did spend a New Year's at Keystone some years ago and we had a great time.

Have fun.

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
reviews: 21
2. Re: New Years Ski Trip - Is Keystone Big Enough?

Skiing is fine for that time....worst case just do a day at a different resort as mentioned.

The part in ? is the après ski if you are hoping it is the same as Breck/Steamboat. It isn't as Keystone is more of a ski village vs a ski town ala Breck/Steamboat. Can always make a run over to Breck for a night or down to Silverthorne for more après ski possibilities.

I would also look at Copper Mountain. Love that mountain. Ski village like Keystone so you would probably hop the free Summit Stage and head to Frisco 1-2 nights.

Matt

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 51
3. Re: New Years Ski Trip - Is Keystone Big Enough?

I ski Keystone at least 50 days a year, well 50 days in a bad year! It is a very big mountain I have yet to get bored. As a matter of fact it is three mountains with Cat Skiing available. All day Cat not just he 5.00 ride. If you are a strong rider / skier I would highly recommend doing the Cat one day. Last time I did it it was around 250.00 per day. A good deal i think as it included lunch, rentals and a lift ticket.

http://www.keystoneresort.com/activitiesdetail/Key+-+Cat+Skiing+Tours.axd it might well be more now. If not the all day be sure to take a few 5.00s with you for the single trip cat ride. They only take cash.

The front mountain has lovely big swopping groomers that the cruisers will love, Nice bumps on Dercum and Bullet glades for tree skiing, the back mountain has nice trees and bumps, though the blue runs get icy. If blues are your thing the front is much better.

I much prefer to ski out of mountain house base, less crowded, I would especially recommend Mountain House Base at a busy time.

Keystone is not Steamboat / Breck and nightlife is limited. The Snake for live music and dancing. Dos Locos for HH, Kickapoo or 9280 for Apres. For a memorable meal Ski Tip. I love the Stube for lunch. I think the Fondue is very fun with a group. The only caveat there is that they sometimes don't run the gondola if it is super cold. Last couple of New Years I think they closed it down leaving folks with out a NY dinner. The Ranch is also an option for NY dinner.

tripadvisor.com/…52005741 I made some condo recommendations here.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
4. Re: New Years Ski Trip - Is Keystone Big Enough?

Oh and Keystone does have night skiing, in case you all want still more skiing! Been years since I have gone, I am a thermal wimp but people do like it.

Edited: 11:43 am, August 19, 2013
Genesee, Colorado
reviews: 12
5. Re: New Years Ski Trip - Is Keystone Big Enough?

Keystone is my home mountain, plenty big. alli is spot on about the snow cat. Worth every penny.

Denver, CO
reviews: 15
6. Re: New Years Ski Trip - Is Keystone Big Enough?

Also something to consider, Keystone has better snow making than those other CO resorts since it gets less natural snow then they do. And in recent years during the holidays the skiing was better at Keystone since it did not have to rely on natural snow, which in recent years has not been great during the holidays.

Keystone, Colorado
7. Re: New Years Ski Trip - Is Keystone Big Enough?

The info above is very good. I will also add that Keystone has very short lift lines... boarding on no lift lines. Even on very busy weekends, it is easy to find areas without a lot of people and no lines.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
8. Re: New Years Ski Trip - Is Keystone Big Enough?

<<<Nice bumps on Dercum and Bullet glades for tree skiing,>>>>

This should read North Peak, the middle mountain. If you like bumps try Cat Dancer, a fantastic bump run that is usually pretty empty, goes on forever!

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
9. Re: New Years Ski Trip - Is Keystone Big Enough?

http://tinyurl.com/yb3zf7r

restaurants / bars / apres ski options

my favorite for Apres Ski is the Last Lift Bar at Mountain House Base when the Swing Crew is playing.

10. Re: New Years Ski Trip - Is Keystone Big Enough?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 28, 2014