We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer Lodging Help

Which Keystone hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
reviews: 21
Summer Lodging Help

I plan to take a road trip next summer to Keystone with the family (kids will be 9 & 11 then). I've done a lot of research on places to stay and think I've narrowed it down to a few:

Lone Eagle, The Springs, Settler's Creek and Red Hawk Townhome/Lodge.

The kids will definitely want a nice, decent-sized outdoor pool. I would like a place that isn't totally surrounded by other buildings and/or parking lots. If at all possible, I'd also like a place that has an outdoor fire pit/fireplace and grill (though I know some units have their own grills on the decks).

I really love the pool at The Springs. The pool at the Lone Eagle looks nice and I think they have a fire pit. I love the look of Settler's Creek (the outside of the units and the pool area), but I'm worried that it's a bit far from the River Run area.

Does anyone think one would suit us more than another, based on the limited guidelines I provided? Are there any facilities that I overlooked that might suit us?

How far of a walk/bike ride/car ride would it be from Settler's Creek to the River Run area for meals/shopping/activities?

Are there any disadvantages to renting units through VRBO versus directly through the resort? I checked Lone Eagle and VRBO units were easily HALF the price of the units through the resort's website. I know in some bigger resorts in Florida, if you don't rent through the resort, you either don't get full access to all of the resort's amenities or you have to pay an outrageous fee per person per day to get full access. Not sure if that's the case here, since the VRBO units are so much more reasonably priced!!

Thanks so much for any help!

Edited: 10:52 pm, May 21, 2013
3 replies to this topic
Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 50
1. Re: Summer Lodging Help

There are a few reasons to rent direct, you get a few "free" activities but then you also pay a resort charge of 25 per day that is way more than any of the free activities. Plus Keystone will not tell you the unit you are in until you arrive. I'd rent direct VRBO, or http://rockies.craigslist.org/vac/

One thing I would not do is pay full the full amount this far out. No reason too and not worth it in case someone decides to sell their unit. The real estate market in Summit County is starting to rebound and I suspect there will be more on the market. Just a thought, I'd not worry about that, just be aware.

All the places you are looking at are great, go with what suits you best. I would add that in summer the Lakeside Village area is very nice. Some of the complexes give you access to the facilities at the Keystone Lodge and Spa as well. Lovely pool, hot tubs, great Spa and nice work out facility.

Argentine does off the top of my head, I think the Plaza and the Mall does as well.

http://tinyurl.com/q668u7d

I'd not worry about proximity to River Run, you can easily walk or bike to and from all over Keystone. Many times we don't use our car while we are there. Plus in the Plaza they play music all day. If napping is in the schedule it can be a bit loud.

Edited: 10:45 am, May 22, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 50
2. Re: Summer Lodging Help

<<Plaza they play music all day.>> I meant the River Run Plaza area not the Condos called the Plaza.

Denver, Colorado
3. Re: Summer Lodging Help

Be aware that Rocky Mountain Resort Management is a broker of many units at Keystone & other nearby locations, with an overly wide range of quality (evidently no minimum standard). What was shown on Hotels.com (pictures of a 3+ star unit, w/ location data for River Run Village) was nothing like what we received (1-star). It was down the road, in a much older building, & hadn't been maintained for decades. Neighbors were surprised that it was actually being used. The window coverings were falling off & broken, lights were flickering, the carpet was stained, the furniture was very worn & barely useable (bunk-bed not useable, forcing us to move the mattresses off of it). We called Rocky Mountain Resort Management, & they were closed for many hours, until mid-day the next day. Hotels.com was also unable to reach them throughout the entire stay. Rocky Mountain Resort Management was much less than helpful when we were finally able to speak with them on the second day, offering to find us another unit at three-times the rate that we had originally paid. In calls w/ Rocky Mountain Resort Management, they did not see any problem w/ differences in what they had shown on Hotels.com & what we had actually received, & that this is what to expect when selecting a broker property through a site like Hotels.com. The difference was so great that it should be considered fraud. I strongly recommend that travelers (or hotels.com) not do any business w/ Rocky Mountain Resort Management.

Reply to: Summer Lodging Help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted