We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Lake in May

Which Grand Lake hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pasadena, Texas...
reviews: 6
Grand Lake in May

Any suggestions on things to do besides hiking in Grand Lake in May? I'm sure there is probably no more snowmobiling that late and not sure if I want to stay the 3 days I had planned on and might just do 2 days. Thoughts?

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
reviews: 98
1. Re: Grand Lake in May

Dee K, I have already answered this question on your previous thread. See reply #8 and also the promised itinerary at reply #9.

tripadvisor.com/…47173618

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
2. Re: Grand Lake in May

With the itinerary I proposed at reply #9 on your other thread, your lodging nights would be this.

May 6,7 Salida

May 8,9,10 Glenwood Springs Area

May 11,12 Grand Lake

May 13,14,15 Estes Park

Pasadena, Texas...
3. Re: Grand Lake in May

Thanks. Only problem is I can't change my reservations in Estes so I can't do it last as suggested. I'm looking into renting a motorcycle. We ride here and hubby seems to really want to ride in the mountains.

Nederland, Colorado
reviews: 9
4. Re: Grand Lake in May

Colorado has some fantastic roads for motorcycle touring. However, be aware that there may still be sand on the roads in May if there is a late spring snowstorm. Those unfamiliar with twisty mountain roads and hairpin turns can find themselves in trouble. My husband is a motorcyclist and was a first responder with the fire dept. He scraped more Harley riders off the road than sport bike riders (mainly the Peak to Peak hwy and Boulder Canyon). Sorry to be so graphic, but it's the truth.

Here are some popular rides: motorcycleroads.com/Routes/Colorado_81.html

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
5. Re: Grand Lake in May

You can do the route I mapped in reply #9 in reverse. I am not thinking motorcycle.

http://mapq.st/11Li9oQ

If you are confirmed with 4 nights in Estes Park, then cut Grand Lake to 1 night. If you do not want a 3 hour drive to DIA from Glenwood Springs, then drop a day in Glenwood and spend the night in Denver closer to DIA.

Pasadena, Texas...
6. Re: Grand Lake in May

Yeah it is heavy on my mind as well. He's a good safe rider, but has lost some of his muscle mass and a bit of strength due to a long hospital stay in August. I don't think he realizes how long it takes to come back from something like that. He's used to curvy roads as we ride quite a bit. But the thought of being on unfamiliar roads scares me. Are any of the ones you suggested pretty tame or are they all pretty hairy?

Nederland, Colorado
reviews: 9
7. Re: Grand Lake in May

I haven't read your other thread so don't know where else you will be in the state. In this area, Hwy 7 (St. Vrain Canyon) between Estes Park and Lyons is probably one of the "tamer" routes of those listed. motorcycleroads.com/75/1314/Colorado/7---Rhy…

The descriptions on that site are very good.

(Sorry about your husband's health issues.)

Pasadena, Texas...
8. Re: Grand Lake in May

Good idea...especially since the guy who owns the cabin has still not contacted me about how to pay. lol

9. Re: Grand Lake in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 28, 2014