We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

to Grand Canyon in a day?

Which Grand Junction hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool
reviews: 3
to Grand Canyon in a day?

Had some superb advice from you guys on Denver to GJ July Sat evening drive back a couple of months hence.

So- now the next morning (Sunday morning July week 4) we are aiming for an early start and driving to the South Rim of the Canyon and GC National Park. We think we could be up against time as we need to be in Vegas on the Monday latest mid afternoon but hoping if we leave early on the Sunday we can get to the Canyon at least before twlight and stop there before driving to Vegas on the Monday morning. How realistic is this?

Any tips on this particular journey road terrain gas stations etc would be most welcome or indeed tips for around the Canyon itself for an evening arrival and next day sunrise departure for Vegas....

I don't mind the long journey as the driver but Mrs Godso isn't a lover even though she gets to absorb all the stunning scenery and snooze at will:-) of so I'm hoping I've not bitten off more than I can chew here and save myself some earache!. :-)

4 replies to this topic
Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
reviews: 185
1. Re: to Grand Canyon in a day?

It is 8 hrs or so across some pretty uninhabited land. Make sure you keep your gas tank pretty full as there won't be many places to get gas once you cross into AZ since you'll be on the Navajo reservation. It's going to be a national holiday so there may be some pretty heavy traffic and you might have longer time getting there than what I gave you.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 238
2. Re: to Grand Canyon in a day?

Good advice so far. Best route is west on I-70 then down through Moab, etc. I believe you're in late July, so no holiday. I would fully fuel in Moab where you for sure will find everything open. You should be able to top off in Kayenta. Given that it's a Sunday, don't expect everything to be open in Utah. To be really safe, maybe top off in Bluff.

It's an eight hour drive. Given that you'll be going by Arches, it would be worth stopping in for even a 45-60 minute quick drive. At Monument Valley, just head over to The View hotel to take in the view. Then back on the road.

Have fun.

Liverpool
reviews: 3
3. Re: to Grand Canyon in a day?

Brilliant guys thank you very much for this excellent info! Nicely surprised it can be done in 8 hours my rand mileage had this trip at nearer 10 from GJ to the GC national park so wasn't looking forward to breaking that news :-)getting very excited now can't wait to get on that plane and see those wonderful places!

Grand Junction...
reviews: 182
4. Re: to Grand Canyon in a day?

Godso, lots of great advice and the trip is long but doable. You might want to consider heading to Moab to spend the night before leaving for the GC. Moab is an easy drive from GJ so if you are coming in from Denver you could do it. Arches in the evening is spectacular and you could get a very early start from Moab...the earlier the better. Moab just gives you a bit of a head start to GC and the trip won't seem so long for the Mrs. Plus as Tumbleweed suggested you can take a drive through Arches. Just a suggestion to break up the trip a little.

Reply to: to Grand Canyon in a day?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted