We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming in mid-May. How about snow at CO NM and Grand Mesa?

Which Grand Junction hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ATLANTA
reviews: 74
Coming in mid-May. How about snow at CO NM and Grand Mesa?

I just saw that the Denver area and to the north are going to get up to a foot of snow in a day or two. We are coming to Fruita for a conference May 15 and wanted to visit CO Natl Monument and drive from GJ thru Grand Mesa to Cedaredge and possible Gunnison Black Canyon South Entrance. I'd appreciate any comments about how the roads should be then.

Thanks,

Kent

Western Colorado
reviews: 14
1. Re: Coming in mid-May. How about snow at CO NM and Grand Mesa?

Someone I know drove over the Grand Mesa yesterday from Grand Junction to Cedaredge to Delta and back to GJ. The said it was dry all the way. The last time I was on the Mesa was 3 weeks ago there was still quite a bit of snow on the top (people still cross country skiing), so hiking on the Mesa is likely to be out of the question even in mid May. The runs at Powderhorn ski area (which is on the north side of the Mesa) are still snow covered (even though the area is closed for the season). Even though snow will be present on the terrain, the road should be clear and dry.

Regarding the CO National Monument, I was there one week ago. No snow on roads and all dry even out on the terrain. Hiking trails were snow free and all should still be clear in Mid May.

ATLANTA
2. Re: Coming in mid-May. How about snow at CO NM and Grand Mesa?

Thanks for the info. I realize that there are elevation differences and I think GJ is on the western side of the Rockies and I'm sure that makes a difference.

Looking forward to our trip.

Kent

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
reviews: 182
3. Re: Coming in mid-May. How about snow at CO NM and Grand Mesa?

I'm hiking the Monument Thursday - and picnicking, too. Temps here are perfect. The Grand Mesa will be muddy where it's not snowy. It's also mountain biking season here, so if you are into that, come join the fun. Fat Tire Festival was here in Fruita last weekend, drew folks from 22 countries. With so many places to hike/bike there's no need to worry about crowds though.

Can't speak to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison as far as hiking, but the roads on the East Portal, North and South Rims are all open. Check here for more details. http://www.nps.gov/blca/parknews/index.htm and https://twitter.com/BlackCanyonNPS

ATLANTA
4. Re: Coming in mid-May. How about snow at CO NM and Grand Mesa?

Thanks, Nate & Susie. I'll monitor but it doesn't look like it will be a problem.

Kent

5. Re: Coming in mid-May. How about snow at CO NM and Grand Mesa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 02, 2014