We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Grand Junction from Boise, ID via Evanston, WY

Which Grand Junction hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adirondack, New York
reviews: 89
To Grand Junction from Boise, ID via Evanston, WY

In the end of September my husband I have two days to get from Boise or Burley, ID to Grand Junction, CO. I would appreciate suggestions for scenic but less travelled roads.

We are planning to spend one night in Evanston, WY. We want to avoid as much as possible driving on interstate highways between Grand Junction and Boise because we utilized them previously. This time, if possible, we want to include Flaming Gorge, Fossil Butte National Monument, Uinta Mountains. Besides driving we hope to find one or two short but scenic hikes, places to have a picnic lunch and the most important to have a drive without thousands of cars zipping by. Thanks

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
reviews: 181
1. Re: To Grand Junction from Boise, ID via Evanston, WY

You are in luck because the way to get from Evanston, Wy to Grand Junction, CO is via a road that is way, way less traveled. I can't speak about the road between Evanston & Boise, haven't taken that one. But the day that you have for the drive from Evanston is going to be about 6 hrs of driving without stopping much so I don't know how much time you will have for hikes, etc. Also be aware that wildlife will be on the move so don't plan on driving before or after dark if possible. These are not areas where you want to meet up with a large elk or deer on the road on a dark night. You also will be out of cell phone range for many a mile so unless someone comes along you are on your own.

Best route to avoid highways is take I-80 for a short way (there aren't great alternatives here) to Ft. Bridger, a frontier trading post (ghost town). Nice stop.

www.ghosttowns.com/states/wy/fortbridger.html

Then take Wy 414 south into Utah to Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area. Mostly scenic drives but some hiking in the national forest area around there. Check at the Gorge's visitor's center for info. This would also be a great place to picnic, some great overlooks w/ tables.

go-utah.com/Flaming-Gorge-National-Recreatio…

Head south to Vernal, then east into CO through Dinosaur, Rangely and Mack. Connect to US Hwy 6, and you are into what we call the Grand Valley and you are on your way to Grand Junction. Be sure you have a full gas tank when you leave Evanston and keep it topped off from then on. Not any services beyond Rangely until you reach Hwy 6.

Unfortunately the quarry museum at Dinosaur National Monument north of Dinosaur, CO is under construction and won't reopen until October. But if you are interested in Dinosaur tracks an easy short hike just off of Hwy 6 is Dinosaur Hill, 1.5 miles from Fruita. 10 points of interest from where dino bones were found in the early 1900s.

Grand Junction...
reviews: 3
2. Re: To Grand Junction from Boise, ID via Evanston, WY

Or, in Vernal, stop into the Utah Museum of Natural History! Great dinosaur info--I used to go thru there every single day on the way home from school. (Won't say how many years ago, or some would say that was when the dinosaurs were still roaming the earth.)

Flaming Gorge is beautiful, and makes for a wonderful stop even just to stretch your legs.

ENJOY!

Adirondack, New York
3. Re: To Grand Junction from Boise, ID via Evanston, WY

SusieLou and cruzncouple. Thank you for providing fantastic ideas. I’ll follow your directions, SusieLou and if time permits would like to stop at the Utah Museum of Natural History in Vernal. It looks like it is going to be a full day especially if we want to make a few scenic stops, have to slow down for wildlife and at least include one short hike to stretch our legs.

So we would take I-80 for a short distance and maybe stop at Ft. Bridger. Then rt. 414 to Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area where we hope to make scenic stops and find a short but scenic trail to hike on. After a picnic lunch we would continue to CO through Dinosaur, Rangely and Mack. Highway 6 is going to take us to Fruita.

We do have to stop at the Dinosaur Hill. Are there signs directing to the Dinosaur Hill? Also are there peach trees in Fruita or did I have a dream about the area? A couple years ago we drove through the area and I recall seeing fruit orchards.

I’ll make certain to travel with a full tank of gas and not count on cell phone reception. Thank you again for your wonderful help

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
reviews: 181
4. Re: To Grand Junction from Boise, ID via Evanston, WY

I don't think there are any signs leading you from Fruita to Dinosaur Hill but it is easy to get to and find. Once in Fruita take Hwy 340 for about 1.5 miles and then look for it just past RimRock Adventures on your left. There is a small parking lot. The 1-mile walk takes roughly 1 hour to complete. Brochures are available at the trailhead. Wear a hat and sunscreen and carry plenty of water.

Unfortunately the fruit trees in Fruita fell to the ax years ago due to coddling moth infestation but just to the east of us is Palisade, an area famous for their peaches. Late September may be just right this year for great fruit since cool weather has set the growing season behind somewhat.

I hope you have a great trip and good memories.

Adirondack, New York
5. Re: To Grand Junction from Boise, ID via Evanston, WY

This is great, SusieLou. I mean directions to Dinosaur Hill. Too bad about fruit trees in Fruita. Maybe what I recall were peach trees in Palisade.

Thank you again for your help.

6. Re: To Grand Junction from Boise, ID via Evanston, WY

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, October 02, 2012